• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition of non-essential employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Email is not the most effective or efficient way for working from home. Your employer should look at something like BlueJean to allow for real time communications.
I agree that e-mail is not great for a lot communications, but it does have its place. For more interactive and immediate conversations, there is still the good old phone, too. :D

Did a conference call yesterday. The people setting it didn't know how to do it, so I was able to put it together just using my iPhone. And if you need to conference in more than just a couple of people, computer voice communication programs that gamers use like Discord can work pretty well, and are free or at least very cheap, and easy to set up. Skype, Face Time, etc., also can help.

quincy

I have been working using almost all of those methods for some time now but other employees had a day reserved for training before starting a work-from-home schedule.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We had a teleconference on Friday with 146 participants using Zoom, and one this morning with only seven participants using Microsoft Teams.

quincy

We had a teleconference on Friday with 146 participants using Zoom, and one this morning with only seven participants using Microsoft Teams.
There certainly are a lot of resources out there to assist many employers with keeping their businesses operating and their employees employed during the quarantine.

elmxl88

So, @elmxl88 - did you contact any of the resources provided?
Yes, I called OSHA (sp?) and they couldn't help me. I also called the governor's office. No info but they said that the local county has jurisdiction as well. The boss told me that regardless of what happens... even if you sweep the floors here... you are required to come in. So, if my husband's place shuts down due to state orders... it's useless that he is staying home because by me coming in and out of the house... Just a side note.... I will never work in healthcare again.. cause I'm just a secretary (which I am ok with) :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, I called OSHA (sp?) and they couldn't help me. I also called the governor's office. No info but they said that the local county has jurisdiction as well. The boss told me that regardless of what happens... even if you sweep the floors here... you are required to come in. So, if my husband's place shuts down due to state orders... it's useless that he is staying home because by me coming in and out of the house... Just a side note.... I will never work in healthcare again.. cause I'm just a secretary (which I am ok with) :)
How about the hotline in post 5?

Or the numbers posted at the top of the nj.gov page?

elmxl88

How about the hotline in post 5?

Or the numbers posted at the top of the nj.gov page?
Yes, I called and the number was busy.....

Also, I just overheard that all healthcare workers are not allowed to go on vacation during COVID 19. Healthcare workers include a lot of people and apparently that includes me.... So I can't go on vacation now???? Not that I have one planned but really?????

PayrollHRGuy

Yes, I called and the number was busy.....

Also, I just overheard that all healthcare workers are not allowed to go on vacation during COVID 19. Healthcare workers include a lot of people and apparently that includes me.... So I can't go on vacation now???? Not that I have one planned but really?????
You need to limit where you are "hearing" things from.

elmxl88

I certainly will. I am doing my part with being careful, not going out ... once I'm home. Disinfecting everything, etc. But for an employer to control me is making me angry. I respect and truly applaud people that want to be in healthcare... I always said it takes a special person to do that work... but I came here because I was out of a job and they had a secretary job open. Boy, did I learn a lesson... I am looking for a new job elsewhere but that a whole other story LOL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I certainly will. I am doing my part with being careful, not going out ... once I'm home. Disinfecting everything, etc. But for an employer to control me is making me angry. I respect and truly applaud people that want to be in healthcare... I always said it takes a special person to do that work... but I came here because I was out of a job and they had a secretary job open. Boy, did I learn a lesson... I am looking for a new job elsewhere but that a whole other story LOL
No one is forcing you to do anything. Really.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI, the employer gets to say when you can or cannot go on vacation ALL THE TIME. Unless you have a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that expressly gives you the right to take it any time you want (and in 40 years of HR/Benefits I have never seen such a clause), it is ALWAYS the employer's right to say No to vacation.

elmxl88

Apparently, there is an employee in my building that went home sick yesterday... out today... and the word is he could be back next week or they don't know when he is coming back. The cleaning crew from the other building was here yesterday wiping down his desk. Now that's a little to close for comfort now..... They could quaranteen the building if this is a positive case????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">