• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I extend my stay with a (B1/B2 visa)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bodoe07

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I’m Egyptian Living here in the USA going to Medical School. and I’m here by B1/B2 visa and My I-94 will end on 22nd of April and I want to make sure that what’s going on nowadays. would be an acceptable reason to extend my stay for another 6 months without risking any issues with My visa entry.
Thank you
Mahmoud

FlyingRon

So let me get this straight? You're here in violation of your visa and you want assistance in further breaking the law. I'm sorry, you misunderstand what the purpose of this forum is. You need to contact a lawyer and have a frank conversation about what you should do to remedy your criminal behavior.

bodoe07

what criminal behavior? i have reached out to lawyers already, just waiting to hear back! everything is shut down now. i just thought i would try here!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
what criminal behavior?
Those who are here on a B1 or B2 visa are not allowed to study.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

These are some examples of activities that require different categories of visas and cannot be done while on a visitor visa:
  • Study
  • Employment
  • Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience
  • Arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft
  • Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism, or other information media
  • Permanent residence in the United States
Emphasis added

FlyingRon

A B1/B2 visa does not allow you to enroll in an educational institution. That requires an F or M visa. Doing what he did is indeed a crime under 18 USC 1546. He either misstated his reason to enter under the B visa, or he broke the conditions once he got here, or both. A B1/B2 visa's educational activity is limited to certain specific educational events (conferences, meetings, etc...). It's possible to adjust the status to one of the proper visas if it hasn't been deemed that he fraudulently entered. That is why I suggested he must have a frank discussion with an immigration attorney.

Mass_Shyster

A B1/B2 visa does not allow you to enroll in an educational institution. That requires an F or M visa. Doing what he did is indeed a crime under 18 USC 1546. He either misstated his reason to enter under the B visa, or he broke the conditions once he got here, or both. A B1/B2 visa's educational activity is limited to certain specific educational events (conferences, meetings, etc...). It's possible to adjust the status to one of the proper visas if it hasn't been deemed that he fraudulently entered. That is why I suggested he must have a frank discussion with an immigration attorney.
18 USC 1546 does not address going to school while on a B1/B2 visa.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
(a)
Whoever knowingly forges, counterfeits, alters, or falsely makes any immigrant or nonimmigrant visa, permit, border crossing card, alien registration receipt card, or other document prescribed by statute or regulation for entry into or as evidence of authorized stay or employment in the United States, ...

That seems to cover it, although not by name.

Mass_Shyster

(a)
Whoever knowingly forges, counterfeits, alters, or falsely makes any immigrant or nonimmigrant visa, permit, border crossing card, alien registration receipt card, or other document prescribed by statute or regulation for entry into or as evidence of authorized stay or employment in the United States, ...

That seems to cover it, although not by name.
Please quote where OP admitted to any of those crimes

FlyingRon

The OP stated:
Living here in the USA going to Medical School.
Again, that's NOT a permissible activity under a B visa. If he applied for the visa with the intent of attending medical school here, he committed a violation of section 1546 for misstating the intent on his application (immigration fraud).

It's inconceivable that he entered with a valid B intent and managed to get accepted and start attending a medical school in the time that entry duration was valid.

LdiJ

I am not sure that you are correct about that when it comes to medicine. I think that someone has to have a B visa in order to intern or be a resident, and that is very much part of "studying medicine".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">