• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legally married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crissychick

California. I was married to Mr. Obrien back when I was 16 yrs old. We split up, but never divorced when I was 20 yrs old. He ultimately died, but not before I married Mr. Dobosi when I was 21yrs. We are still currently married as far as I know. He is not a US citizen nor does he have a green card. Within days after we were married, he flew back to Hungary( where he currently resides, I should tell you I am currently 40 yrs). What I need to know is whether or not am I legally married to Mr Dobosi because I was still married to Mr. Obrien, and he was still alive at the time. I am now with a man and have been for the last 16 years, and we would like to get married, but I don’t know what my legal status is with Mr. Dobosi.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

On the face of it. your marriage to Dobosi is void at its inception because you were still married to Obrien. Depending on what the current issue is, you may still wish to get an annulment to make it officially voided.

zddoodah

I was married to Mr. Obrien back when I was 16 yrs old.
Current California law provides that a person under the age of 18 may not legally marry without first obtaining a court order and permission of at least one parent. Fam. Code section 302, et seq. While I don't know for sure, I highly doubt the law was significantly different 24 years ago.

Did you obtain a court order and have at least one of your parent's permission when you "married" Mr. Obrien?

I married Mr. Dobosi when I was 21yrs.
When you obtained your marriage license in connection with this "marriage," what did you represent regarding any prior marriages?

What I need to know is whether or not am I legally married to Mr Dobosi because I was still married to Mr. Obrien, and he was still alive at the time.
That depends on how you answer the above questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">