• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally Binding Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jababa1038

Hello, I am in Colorado, and I entered into a contract with bad advice. The other party (they wrote the contract), have been very deceiving, using provisions in the contract to operate in my building without paying rent, threatening to sue me for damages because I could not produce product for them to process (even though they have no problem finding outside business and are making money). Anyway, I found out that when the contract was signed, they weren't licensed to operate in the state of Colorado, and in April applied for the license. Would this help me build a case against them, and get them to cancel the MSA?

quincy

Hello, I am in Colorado, and I entered into a contract with bad advice. The other party (they wrote the contract), have been very deceiving, using provisions in the contract to operate in my building without paying rent, threatening to sue me for damages because I could not produce product for them to process (even though they have no problem finding outside business and are making money). Anyway, I found out that when the contract was signed, they weren't licensed to operate in the state of Colorado, and in April applied for the license. Would this help me build a case against them, and get them to cancel the MSA?
Why did you sign a contract before reading and thoroughly understanding what it said?

Just Blue

Contract review is beyond the scope of this forum.

Jababa1038

Well, like I said, I entered into a bad contract (had legal review it) with an unlicensed business, is this legal? I'm in Pueblo if that would matter.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Anyway, I found out that when the contract was signed, they weren't licensed to operate in the state of Colorado, and in April applied for the license. Would this help me build a case against them, and get them to cancel the MSA?
The details of what exactly the contract says, what representations were made during negotiations, and what the business arrangement is matter. Whether the other party had a license may or may not matter to whether the other party has breached the contract or is able to enforce it. What kind of license is it and what is the relevance of the license to your arrangement?

Ultimately you'll need to take the contract to a Colorado attorney and discuss what rights each of you has and what options you may have to terminate the arrangement.

quincy

The service agreement would need to be personally reviewed to determine if the April licensing affects any of the provisions in the agreement. For this personal review, you will need to see an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. As Just Blue noted, contract review falls outside the scope of this forum.

Last edited:

zddoodah

I entered into a contract with bad advice.
Bad advice from whom ("had legal review it" is ambiguous)?

The other party (they wrote the contract), have been very deceiving, using provisions in the contract to operate in my building without paying rent, threatening to sue me for damages because I could not produce product for them to process (even though they have no problem finding outside business and are making money).
Not really sure what any of this means because you gave us no background or context and didn't tell us anything about the purpose of the your contract with the other party.

I found out that when the contract was signed, they weren't licensed to operate in the state of Colorado, and in April applied for the license.
Licensed to operate what? Licensed by which agency of the Colorado government?

Would this help me build a case against them, and get them to cancel the MSA?
A case of what? Unless you want to provide background and context, there's no way for anyone here to opine intelligently about the impact that the other party's lack of licensure at the time of contracting might have.

Well, like I said, I entered into a bad contract
That's most certainly not what you wrote. You wrote, "I entered into a contract with bad advice." Those are very different sentences.

Jababa1038

Context. they are the same, if you read the reply to my original post, then you would understand that in the same conversation they would mean the same thing, I'll just use quotes for everything if it difficult to grasp. As well as answer your other question, a lawyer gave me advice.
I was just asking a question, if further info is needed that I didn't put in there, my apologies.
Thought this was FreeAdvise, not an online courtroom.
Thanks for the Free Beratement kind soul (y)

PayrollHRGuy

Context. they are the same, if you read the reply to my original post, then you would understand that in the same conversation they would mean the same thing, I'll just use quotes for everything if it difficult to grasp. As well as answer your other question, a lawyer gave me advice.
I was just asking a question, if further info is needed that I didn't put in there, my apologies.
Thanks for the Free Beratement kind soul (y)
We can't provide advice if we don't understand what you have written.

When you ...
(had legal review it)
...who reviewed it?

And you need to answer the licensing questions as well.

quincy

... I was just asking a question, if further info is needed that I didn't put in there, my apologies. ...
Jababa, did you ask the attorney who originally reviewed the contract (or did you ask any other attorney in your area) if the other party was breaching the terms of the agreement by failing to pay rent, or if the agreement could be voided because of the misrepresentation/deception/nondisclosure by the other party of a material fact (e.g., the status of his license)?

Very generally speaking, parties who sign an agreement will become legally bound by its terms so it is always important to understand exactly what the consequences are, or could be, of signing it.

If you relied on the other party being licensed, and licensing was central to the agreement, a misrepresentation by the other party that he was licensed or if he actively concealed the fact that he wasn’t licensed, that could void the contract that you signed.

Whether there is anything in the wording of the contract that could allow for a breach of contract lawsuit, or permit the voiding of the contract, however, requires a reading of the contract in its entirety and a complete understanding of the facts surrounding the formation of the contract (the basis for the contract).

For the above, you need an attorney in your area. FreeAdvice can provide information and offer general advice, but no one on this forum can answer questions that fall under the “practice of law,” like contract review.

Last edited:

zddoodah

Thanks for the Free Beratement kind soul
Oy. If you want information, you need to provide relevant facts. [Please] provide relevant facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">