• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for N400 citizenship after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M.Zee

Hello

I have been married since 2011 and my green card expires in 2027. Unfortunately I recently got divorced in December 2019. I am willing to file for my citizenship so my question is what documents are required to submit with the application (after being divorced). Do i still have to submit my spouse birth certificate and also do I still have to submit any documents that refers me and spouse such as bank statements, tax returns etc. If someone can provide me a detail info and a list of documents required for N400 application (after being divoced)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello

I have been married since 2011 and my green card expires in 2027. Unfortunately I recently got divorced in December 2019. I am willing to file for my citizenship so my question is what documents are required to submit with the application (after being divorced). Do i still have to submit my spouse birth certificate and also do I still have to submit any documents that refers me and spouse such as bank statements, tax returns etc. If someone can provide me a detail info and a list of documents required for N400 application (after being divoced)
You should probably speak with a local immigration attorney.

FlyingRon

You're leaving a lot out. When you got married is largely immaterial. When did you get permanent resident status? If I read between the lines that you became a permanent resident in 2017, and you are no longer married to a US citizen, you are not eligible for naturalization no matter what you submit. If you have been a permanent resident longer than five years (i.e., the 2017-issued card wasn't your first), then you're not using your ex as the basis of your application and you don't have to submit her information.

Failing to submit things properly can waste a lot of time and money. It would behoove you to have your application vetted by an immigration attorney who knows what is required (and whether you are eligible).

M.Zee

You're leaving a lot out. When you got married is largely immaterial. When did you get permanent resident status? If I read between the lines that you became a permanent resident in 2017, and you are no longer married to a US citizen, you are not eligible for naturalization no matter what you submit. If you have been a permanent resident longer than five years (i.e., the 2017-issued card wasn't your first), then you're not using your ex as the basis of your application and you don't have to submit her information.

Failing to submit things properly can waste a lot of time and money. It would behoove you to have your application vetted by an immigration attorney who knows what is required (and whether you are eligible).
First of all thanks for your response. I just now made myself aware of that I don’t need to submit any of her documents since I am divorced. I have been permanent resident since 2011 which makes 8 years.

FlyingRon

Well, it matters not that you are divorced, but that you're not using the fact you are married to her to shorten the residence time.

You should be good in that regard. However, I still recommend that after you pull together all the stuff you think you need, you run it by an attorney to verify it is complete and correct.

First of all thanks for your response. I just now made myself aware of that I don’t need to submit any of her documents since I am divorced. I have been permanent resident since 2011 which makes 8 years.
Doesn't add up.
If you were issued your green card in 2011 it expires in 2021, not 2027 as you originally posted.

LdiJ

Doesn't add up.
If you were issued your green card in 2011 it expires in 2021, not 2027 as you originally posted.
He would have had a conditional green card for a period of time first. However it still doesn't add up. A conditional green card is good for two years and then the permanent card for 10 so that would be 2023 rather than 2027.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">