• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing my university

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

First, we were out of school for 2 weeks while they shifted to the online platform, as soon as we started classes they were doubling up on material to catch up. I've never taken an online course, so we switched platforms, and they gave us no tutorial on how to use the new software, it was a literal learn as you go. Next, the professor was overwhelmed with grading and getting assignment grades back weeks later than usual, so it wasn't until the last two weeks of class that I really understood where my standing was.
You are a graduate student in 2020. Taking an online class shouldn't be that tough for you. Everyone taking the class is in the same boat. Are they all failing as well?

quincy

You are a graduate student in 2020. Taking an online class shouldn't be that tough for you. Everyone taking the class is in the same boat. Are they all failing as well?
I know that some universities, when switching from in-class to online instruction, had problems not only with the software that was used but also in teaching the professors how to use it properly. The students in many cases were far more adept than the instructors were in navigating the system.

That said, it is not rare for professors in some courses to offer students no feedback at all. You learn how you are doing with a midterm grade or often not until your final grade.

PayrollHRGuy

I know that some universities, when switching from in-class to online instruction, had problems not only with the software that was used but also in teaching the professors how to use it properly. The students in many cases were far more adept than the instructors were in navigating the system.

That said, it is not rare for professors in some courses to offer students no feedback at all. You learn how you are doing with a midterm grade or often not until your final grade.
I don't disagree with your first paragraph but if there were tech problems then everyone in the class should be in the same boat or at least swimming nearby. That's why I asked him if his classmates were also failing as well.

I had plenty of professors that gave little feedback on how I was doing during the year. But I can't think of a single case where I was surprised with a lower grade than I was expecting.

Also, keep in mind that the OPs question wasn't how can I try to get this grade up. It was how can I sue because the school is treating the grad students and undergrads differently. That is telling.

quincy

I don't disagree with your first paragraph but if there were tech problems then everyone in the class should be in the same boat or at least swimming nearby. That's why I asked him if his classmates were also failing as well.

I had plenty of professors that gave little feedback on how I was doing during the year. But I can't think of a single case where I was surprised with a lower grade than I was expecting.

Also, keep in mind that the OPs question wasn't how can I try to get this grade up. It was how can I sue because the school is treating the grad students and undergrads differently. That is telling.
I agree with everything you said.

A lawsuit should always be the very last option considered anyway - and only when a lawsuit has merit, which is not the case here.

I don’t see anything but a possible appeal of the grade but y_L apparently investigated this option and an appeal was unlikely to result in a grade change.

It is my opinion that the best option for y_L is to repeat the course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">