• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options to not give kids to GP, my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It cannot! Re-read the danged law that you cited. You have read it completely wrong.
Visitation can be considered "ordered custody".

An FL can advise her as to how well she is protected in FL. Once she is a legal resident of FL she can petition the courts in FL to take jurisdiction of the case and an FL attorney can advise her of that. GPV is completely dead in FL, ruled unconstitutional.
Why do you believe that the GA court will allow the OP to forum-shop this?

In the future, please don't advise posters to ignore their court orders.

FL2020

They were going to do GP rights no matter what. They had already started the process early on (like months before we went really down hill).
This was all about control more then anything else. They knew they were all trying to make me take the blame for ex husbands problems and they knew they were in the wrong. It’s bc my mom felt so guilty for turning him into police and then realizing how much trouble she really got him in. They thought I had more control to keep him out of jail but I really didn’t the DA was going after him hard.
The last 2 months yes I finally gave up the fight and stopped letting them take the kids. They crossed the line and supported a monster. They were trying to make sure I broke (helped ex in divorce) so I couldn’t fight back and they could control. I have always been really laid back and on quiet side and did not like it that I stood up for myself and what was right. It all boiled down to money, power and controlling me with kids. They crossed the line with telling kids things as well. They let the kids find out what the dad did with pulling the gun by over hearing a conversation and another occasion letting them come home questioning if their dad is in jail. I finally put my foot down. But they also knew they messed up and didn’t ask to get kids either for over a month.
They were trying to set me up early on before all went downhill. My mom would text me (after having kids) the very next day asking for kids and if we were not home or busy she would start accusing me of withholding the kids. She wanted text as proof, but I was able to fight back and show kids were with her day before. That happened on multiple occasions.

Just Blue

They were going to do GP rights no matter what. They had already started the process early on (like months before we went really down hill).
This was all about control more then anything else. They knew they were all trying to make me take the blame for ex husbands problems and they knew they were in the wrong. It’s bc my mom felt so guilty for turning him into police and then realizing how much trouble she really got him in. They thought I had more control to keep him out of jail but I really didn’t the DA was going after him hard.
The last 2 months yes I finally gave up the fight and stopped letting them take the kids. They crossed the line and supported a monster. They were trying to make sure I broke (helped ex in divorce) so I couldn’t fight back and they could control. I have always been really laid back and on quiet side and did not like it that I stood up for myself and what was right. It all boiled down to money, power and controlling me with kids. They crossed the line with telling kids things as well. They let the kids find out what the dad did with pulling the gun by over hearing a conversation and another occasion letting them come home questioning if their dad is in jail. I finally put my foot down. But they also knew they messed up and didn’t ask to get kids either for over a month.
They were trying to set me up early on before all went downhill. My mom would text me (after having kids) the very next day asking for kids and if we were not home or busy she would start accusing me of withholding the kids. She wanted text as proof, but I was able to fight back and show kids were with her day before. That happened on multiple occasions.
You need a GA attorney to assist you with this. One that specializes in GPV.

FL2020

I wish I would of appealed. I regret not appealing. I have given my lawyer $20k over the year of 2019. I currently owe almost $30k more from how bad and long these cases (divorce, criminal case on ex and GP case) were. My lawyer wanted more money up front to appeal and I couldn’t afford it. He is a great lawyer and think he honestly feels sorry for me and has kept me on knowing and admitting they are trying to use him up so much trying to get him to drop me as a client. But he can only go so far, he has other clients as well.
I try to research and do everything I can before I have to go back to my lawyer as I try to only use him in emergency or when I absolutely have to.

Just Blue

I wish I would of appealed. I regret not appealing. I have given my lawyer $20k over the year of 2019. I currently owe almost $30k more from how bad and long these cases (divorce, criminal case on ex and GP case) were. My lawyer wanted more money up front to appeal and I couldn’t afford it. He is a great lawyer and think he honestly feels sorry for me and has kept me on knowing and admitting they are trying to use him up so much trying to get him to drop me as a client. But he can only go so far, he has other clients as well.
I try to research and do everything I can before I have to go back to my lawyer as I try to only use him in emergency or when I absolutely have to.
Why did you incur legal fees for your husbands criminal case? Did you pay for his attorney???

FL2020

Funny you ask. My mom went to my lawyer (when my mom and I were on good terms) and asked him to help with ex’s criminal case. She was desperate and trying everything she could to keep him out of jail. She told lawyer she would pay him as she helped with paying with divorce in very beginning (until things turned ugly and stopped). So now I’m stuck with the bill since I am the client.
I realized after the fact My mom asked lawyer to do this bc she thought I had pull and wasn’t trying to help with keeping ex out of jail. She thought I was pushing him to go more. I was mutual in the whole thing as I knew he needed to get in trouble to learn his lesson since he always got out of trouble and was entitled, but I knew I would be left with nothing as he hid all the money beforehand. Not really hid, but he kept money in family business and said it wasn’t his even though it was.His family is good at that kind of thing. The are wealthy and have a in house family accountant that’s actually married to a lawyer. So they get away with a lot.
Ex also had a team of lawyers that helped in his criminal case. My mom just wanted my lawyer to speak for me since she didn’t trust anyone. That way she could have another source to tell her. But not too long after that my lawyer finally saw the corruption in my mom and the politics in the family and stood up to her and told her I was his client and not her and she lost it and got mad.

Just Blue

Funny you ask. My mom went to my lawyer (when my mom and I were on good terms) and asked him to help with ex’s criminal case. She was desperate and trying everything she could to keep him out of jail. She told lawyer she would pay him as she helped with paying with divorce in very beginning (until things turned ugly and stopped). So now I’m stuck with the bill since I am the client.
I realized after the fact My mom asked lawyer to do this bc she thought I had pull and wasn’t trying to help with keeping ex out of jail. She thought I was pushing him to go more. I was mutual in the whole thing as I knew he needed to get in trouble to learn his lesson since he always got out of trouble and was entitled, but I knew I would be left with nothing as he hid all the money beforehand. Not really hid, but he kept money in family business and said it wasn’t his even though it was.His family is good at that kind of thing. The are wealthy and have a in house family accountant that’s actually married to a lawyer. So they get away with a lot.
Ex also had a team of lawyers that helped in his criminal case. My mom just wanted my lawyer to speak for me since she didn’t trust anyone. That way she could have another source to tell her. But not too long after that my lawyer finally saw the corruption in my mom and the politics in the family and stood up to her and told her I was his client and not her and she lost it and got mad.
Huh? You mother asked your divorce attorney to defend your husband ...and he did?

@Taxing Matters

FL2020

I was threatened by ex, home broken into 3 separate times with my dog missing the third time (finding her later down the street in rain, soaked and freezing). Finally caved in to go to judge himself (along with all the lawyers) and plead for him to not go. I wish I would of never done that bc judge did lower his sentence, and then lowered more after my mom was able to pull more strings. I regret it bc they all came after me even more bc they didn’t get the outcome they wanted. I was the target I guess bc I spoke the truth and no one wanted to hear it. They all each wanted it their way.

FL2020

Not really defend him, but kind of yes. She wanted my lawyer to speak for me instead of ex’s criminal lawyer talking to me directly. So my lawyer said sure, with my consent as well. But I realized after the fact the reason behind why she asked. And she told me she’s not going to help pay for lawyer bc he had to stand up to her.

LdiJ

Visitation is NOT considered "ordered custody". Only PA considers visitation to be partial custody. No other state does.

GA won't have any choice on it if FL takes jurisdiction. I have seen judges, in several states (including FL), take jurisdiction of gpv cases in situations where clearly justice did not prevail in the original state. Based on GA case law justice clearly did not prevail this time.

FlyingRon

Don't be ridiculous.

Because they are required by law to do so? Such orders are always based on the location of the child. If the child lawfully has presence in another state, then things have to be adjudicated there. People move to improve the situation for their children all the time, it's neither illegal or immoral.
You're twisting what LDIJ says. The biggest issue was your erroneous statement that a felony is committed, which is patently wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">