• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tesla Model Y defects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaggz

What is the name of your state? California
Hi all
I recently bought a Model Y, the latest model from Tesla. It seems the car company has been producing cars under deadlines and has overlooked QC. At time of touchless delivery, I was told to simply drive off and report any defects to tesla via tesla app. There was no-one available at delivery center for dialogue. It so happened, there were several defects in the car. There are several customers and several youtube videos depicting similar complaints like mine. Please see images uploaded here (to be auto-deleted in 1 month) -
https://ibb.co/CPqCHqS
https://ibb.co/F8pvYjy
https://ibb.co/wsWsFRb
https://ibb.co/PTY7SWL

Summary of complaints:
  • bad scratch on left rear window, Tesla repair shop has said they will replace the window - but they moved the appointment to about 8-9 days after delivery, and the return period of car is 7 days for full refund. Now I have to wait until the part arrives to tesla repair shop, can't even return the car.
  • the left front and rear door is mis-aligned at several places, the left side of rear bumper is mis-aligned, right small window and its trim is mis-aligned, trim is mis-aligned at the back, rear lights are mis-aligned, trunk does not always close automatically
So far, I was verbally told by tesla repair shop staff at time of submission of pictures of defect via app, that the rear passenger door will have to be taken apart to replace the scratched window. When asked if shop repair is different than factory repair, the repair shop said they will use same rivets and fasteners and quality of work will be good. I am very scared for the window or door to rattle post repair... Next: I was also verbally told by tesla repair shop staff, that they can re-align some of parts (not all, as some fall under "specifications" [- what are these??? who makes them!!!]) and the rear trunk can be adjusted but it will have more "gap" near its hinge at the top where it meets the rear glass. So in short, you can choose what area you want to see aligned, and the other end will get out of alignment.

So now, we can have a scenario if everything is okay, so we are good; OR some repair work is okay and some defects cannot be rectified. Questions, in case of the latter:
  1. In case some defects cannot be rectified and are mostly cosmetic defects, what are my options here? I have paid $60,000 for the car including taxes, tags and fees and clearly an imperfectly finished car is not acceptable. The alignment of doors and windows on left is not the same on the right!!!

2. I have a first appointment coming up soon. Once the work is done, the shop will ask me to sign a blanket statement stating I am fine with repairs done. This will be a lie as clearly not all mis-aligned parts can be aligned. If I do not sign the car will not be released to me and I will not have a car for days! So how can I have the car back after first set of repairs WITH a note clearly written that customer is not happy with this... that.. that mis-aligned spots? The repair shop will decline to write anything, so how can I ask them for a documentation?

3. In case the repair shop tells me that this is the best they can do and nothing better can be done, what are my options? My expectation is that they should order new parts like door, rear panel, bumper which are made as per accurate specs/ measurements but clearly tesla will try their best not to get me new parts and save their money. If you compare left vs right side, clearly there are alignment defects. So how can I get them to work on my case and not shirk away?

4. Overall, what do I need to be careful of especially after first round of repairs - example "never sign a blanket statement saying all is okay" when there will certainly be some parts not aligned well despite intervention - what are do's and don't that may empower the repair shop to document all was set right by them when it would not be the case?
Help will be greatly appreciated!
Regards.

quincy

What is the name of your state? California
Hi all
I recently bought a Model Y, the latest model from Tesla. It seems the car company has been producing cars under deadlines and has overlooked QC. At time of touchless delivery, I was told to simply drive off and report any defects to tesla via tesla app. There was no-one available at delivery center for dialogue. It so happened, there were several defects in the car. There are several customers and several youtube videos depicting similar complaints like mine. Please see images uploaded here (to be auto-deleted in 1 month) -
https://ibb.co/CPqCHqS
https://ibb.co/F8pvYjy
https://ibb.co/wsWsFRb
https://ibb.co/PTY7SWL

Summary of complaints:
  • bad scratch on left rear window, Tesla repair shop has said they will replace the window - but they moved the appointment to about 8-9 days after delivery, and the return period of car is 7 days for full refund. Now I have to wait until the part arrives to tesla repair shop, can't even return the car.
  • the left front and rear door is mis-aligned at several places, the left side of rear bumper is mis-aligned, right small window and its trim is mis-aligned, trim is mis-aligned at the back, rear lights are mis-aligned, trunk does not always close automatically
So far, I was verbally told by tesla repair shop staff at time of submission of pictures of defect via app, that the rear passenger door will have to be taken apart to replace the scratched window. When asked if shop repair is different than factory repair, the repair shop said they will use same rivets and fasteners and quality of work will be good. I am very scared for the window or door to rattle post repair... Next: I was also verbally told by tesla repair shop staff, that they can re-align some of parts (not all, as some fall under "specifications" [- what are these??? who makes them!!!]) and the rear trunk can be adjusted but it will have more "gap" near its hinge at the top where it meets the rear glass. So in short, you can choose what area you want to see aligned, and the other end will get out of alignment.

So now, we can have a scenario if everything is okay, so we are good; OR some repair work is okay and some defects cannot be rectified. Questions, in case of the latter:
  1. In case some defects cannot be rectified and are mostly cosmetic defects, what are my options here? I have paid $60,000 for the car including taxes, tags and fees and clearly an imperfectly finished car is not acceptable. The alignment of doors and windows on left is not the same on the right!!!

2. I have a first appointment coming up soon. Once the work is done, the shop will ask me to sign a blanket statement stating I am fine with repairs done. This will be a lie as clearly not all mis-aligned parts can be aligned. If I do not sign the car will not be released to me and I will not have a car for days! So how can I have the car back after first set of repairs WITH a note clearly written that customer is not happy with this... that.. that mis-aligned spots? The repair shop will decline to write anything, so how can I ask them for a documentation?

3. In case the repair shop tells me that this is the best they can do and nothing better can be done, what are my options? My expectation is that they should order new parts like door, rear panel, bumper which are made as per accurate specs/ measurements but clearly tesla will try their best not to get me new parts and save their money. If you compare left vs right side, clearly there are alignment defects. So how can I get them to work on my case and not shirk away?

4. Overall, what do I need to be careful of especially after first round of repairs - example "never sign a blanket statement saying all is okay" when there will certainly be some parts not aligned well despite intervention - what are do's and don't that may empower the repair shop to document all was set right by them when it would not be the case?
Help will be greatly appreciated!
Regards.
Your final example is good: Never sign a blanket statement saying all is okay when all might not be okay.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You mentioned a 7-day return policy. Perhaps you should return this one and get another one...

adjusterjack

Yeah, if the 7 day return is unconditional, take it back.

I don't know what this "touchless delivery" is all about but next time don't pick up the car unless somebody is there. Examine it closely and if you find defects, don't accept delivery. Leave it there for repairs and that should change your delivery date (does it?) so you still have the 7 day return option once you pick it up.

quincy

Yeah, if the 7 day return is unconditional, take it back.

I don't know what this "touchless delivery" is all about but next time don't pick up the car unless somebody is there. Examine it closely and if you find defects, don't accept delivery. Leave it there for repairs and that should change your delivery date (does it?) so you still have the 7 day return option once you pick it up.
I believe “touchless delivery” is being used by many dealerships to help prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">