• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person can’t remember details of all previous marriages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

I'm not sure why you are on a self help bender on this, particularly since you low-key imply she might have committed bigamy.

There are lawyers who specialize in real ID and I continue to suggest you avail her of one.

LdiJ

She needs to get a Real ID and passport and she needs a paperwork trail showing how her name legally changed from her maiden name to her current name.

Another issue is that she cannot remember the date or even the year (she is not confident of the year even within a 5 or 10 year range) of one of her marriages. Date of marriage is a required field in the marriage record request form.
How can she search and retrieve a forgotten date of marriage? None of the weddings guests she is still in contact with and are still alive can remember either.
Why does she need a Read ID and a passport? Are you planning a trip abroad for her?

She needs at least a Real ID just to fly within the US once the requirement goes into affect next year. The passport can be used as one of the documents required to get a Real ID plus it can be used for trips across the border to Mexico and Canada or to fly anywhere else after Covid 19 travel restrictions are lifted within the next year or so.

Why tote a passport around and risk losing it when a Real ID can be used for US air travel?

LdiJ

She needs at least a Real ID just to fly within the US once the requirement goes into affect next year. The passport can be used as one of the documents required to get a Real ID plus it can be used for trips across the border to Mexico and Canada or to fly anywhere else after Covid 19 travel restrictions are lifted within the next year or so.

Why tote a passport around and risk losing it when a Real ID can be used for US air travel?
That is great but you said that she was a senior citizen and implied that there might be some dementia going on so once again, are you anticipating such travel for her at this point in time?

The reason I am asking is because I am over 60, my daughter accidentally threw out some of my paperwork so I am going to have to go through some hassle myself to get a "Read ID". My passport is also expired. I don't think that I am going to bother...at least not the next time I renew my license...and maybe not ever. So, once again, is there a real reason why a "Real ID" is needed for her?

That is great but you said that she was a senior citizen and implied that there might be some dementia going on so once again, are you anticipating such travel for her at this point in time?

The reason I am asking is because I am over 60, my daughter accidentally threw out some of my paperwork so I am going to have to go through some hassle myself to get a "Read ID". My passport is also expired. I don't think that I am going to bother...at least not the next time I renew my license...and maybe not ever. So, once again, is there a real reason why a "Real ID" is needed for her?
It‘s not dementia at this point. Just lots of carelessness in her younger years and poor record keeping combined with advancing age.
She could still travel now. Who knows in 5 or 10 years from now. Probably best to get her papers in order within the next year rather than wait for her to get older and then have true dementia.

She will at least want to be able to fly up and down California to visit some relatives for some years to come. Being able to take a flight out of the country to visit others maybe for the last time would be a bonus.

BuyLowSellHigh

If you are an elderly California resident flying within state you think TSA is going to deny travel because your valid drivers license isn’t a Real ID?

Take the time to read requirements because I think you would be wasting time or money chasing a real ID. I flew last year once when I had forgotten my ID at home. I had zero picture ID. Was flying from LAX to Chicago on a one way ticket.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

LdiJ

If you are an elderly California resident flying within state you think TSA is going to deny travel because your valid drivers license isn’t a Real ID?

Take the time to read requirements because I think you would be wasting time or money chasing a real ID. I flew last year once when I had forgotten my ID at home. I had zero picture ID. Was flying from LAX to Chicago on a one way ticket.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification
If you scroll down a bit on that link, you will see that starting October 1, 2021 your license has to be "Real ID" compliant in order to fly in the US.

She is now divorced from all her later husbands.

If she finds out she was legally married to the man in question and is unable to successfully find a divorce record because she doesn’t know when, where (city or state) or if that husband filed for divorce on his own and simply failed to find her to give notice, can she still file for divorce now and then they will either grant it or tell her it’s not needed because the divorce was already done?

The question is about her second to last husband.

A marriage record was now found online through a search service, but no divorce record. However, that doesn’t mean it never happened because no divorce records were found online even for her other husbands that we are sure she divorced from and has paper records from the county.

The issue with divorce searches is that it appears you must know the date of the divorce or at least the year and you also need know what county and or city court the divorce was done in.
I can’t find any “central” national divorce search tool that can search based on the people without requiring you to know the date and location of the divorce.

If he filed for a divorce on his side, she doesn’t know where he moved to after they separated. The divorce could have been filed in another county or even a different state.
She doesn’t even know if he’s still alive today.

LdiJ

The question is about her second to last husband.

A marriage record was now found online through a search service, but no divorce record. However, that doesn’t mean it never happened because no divorce records were found online even for her other husbands that we are sure she divorced from and has paper records from the county.

The issue with divorce searches is that it appears you must know the date of the divorce or at least the year and you also need know what county and or city court the divorce was done in.
I can’t find any “central” national divorce search tool that can search based on the people without requiring you to know the date and location of the divorce.

If he filed for a divorce on his side, she doesn’t know where he moved to after they separated. The divorce could have been filed in another county or even a different state.
She doesn’t even know if he’s still alive today.
I don't know if this will help, but the reason for needing marriage and divorce records is to track the changes in a woman's last name. So, you need your birth certificate which shows what last name you started with, and then marriage and divorce records to show changes in your last name. Anyone whose last name never changed, doesn't need those records. Or, if you changed your last name when you got married, but didn't change it back after a divorce, you don't need your divorce records.

So, if that marriage didn't result in a name change, she won't need that record.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ummm....yeah. Once that requirement is actually in effect, you won't be able to use your non-REAL-ID driver's license for air travel. There are other methods to establish identity, as you found out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">