• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty claim not honored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobM61

Jurisdiction: Illinois

My Volkswagen had a water pump replaced in January 2020 right before I got a notice in the mail for a class-action lawsuit about VW water pumps, and that they had extended the warranty.

enginewaterpumpsettlement.com

The repair was over $1000 and all bills and supporting documentation was submitted. The the terms of the settlements are as follows, but the claim says it was rejected because my repairs came after the claim was rejected under the following clauses:

* Effective on December 2, 2019, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. will extend its New Vehicle Limited Warranties applicable to the Settlement Class Vehicles to cover repair or replacement of a failed primary engine water pump, by an authorized VW or Audi dealer (as applicable to the brand of vehicle), during a period of ten (10) years or one hundred thousand (100,000) miles (whichever occurs first) from the In-Service Date of the Settlement Class Vehicle.

* The Settlement affords a 20-day grace period from the December 2, 2019 date in which the Extended Warranty goes into effect. That grace period expires on December 22, 2019. If a water pump failure occurs after December 22, 2019, then in order to obtain the benefit of the Extended Warranty, the Settlement Class Member is required to take the vehicle to an authorized VW or Audi dealer (depending on the brand of vehicle) for repair pursuant to the terms of the Extended Warranty, regardless of whether the repair or replacement is for the primary engine water pump, and/or for a damaged or failed engine that is directly caused by the failure of the primary engine water pump.

* There will be no reimbursement for any out-of-pocket costs or expenses of any engine repairs or replacements performed after December 22, 2019, the remedy intended under that circumstance being that the Settlement Class Member bring the Settlement Class Vehicle to the VW or Audi dealer, which will make the covered engine repair or replacement pursuant to said terms of the Extended Warranty.

First, they say they extend the warranty period and will reimburse repair costs, then they say, BUT…if it occurs after this date you won’t be covered. Huh? What does this mean?? What recourse do I have??

Thanks in advance…

Bob

Last edited:

quincy

Jurisdiction: Illinois

My Volkswagen had a water pump replaced in January 2020 right before I got a notice in the mail for a class-action lawsuit about VW water pumps, and that they had extended the warranty.

enginewaterpumpsettlement.com

The repair was over $1000 and all bills and supporting documentation was submitted. The claim was rejected under the following clauses:

* Effective on December 2, 2019, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. will extend its New Vehicle Limited Warranties applicable to the Settlement Class Vehicles to cover repair or replacement of a failed primary engine water pump, by an authorized VW or Audi dealer (as applicable to the brand of vehicle), during a period of ten (10) years or one hundred thousand (100,000) miles (whichever occurs first) from the In-Service Date of the Settlement Class Vehicle.

* If the water pump failure that directly caused the failed or damaged engine occurs after December 22, 2019 and within ten (10) years or one hundred thousand (100,000) miles (whichever occurs first) from the In-Service Date of the Settlement Class Vehicle, the Settlement Class Member must take the vehicle to an authorized VW or Audi dealer for engine repair or replacement pursuant to the terms of the Extended Warranty (including the Extended Warranty's percentage limits of coverage based on vehicle age and mileage).

* There will be no reimbursement for any out-of-pocket costs or expenses of any engine repairs or replacements performed after December 22, 2019, the remedy intended under that circumstance being that the Settlement Class Member bring the Settlement Class Vehicle to the VW or Audi dealer, which will make the covered engine repair or replacement pursuant to said terms of the Extended Warranty.

First, they say they extend the warranty period and will reimburse repair costs, then they say, BUT…if it occurs after this date you won’t be covered. Huh? What does this mean?? What recourse do I have??

Thanks in advance…

Bob
Were you a member of the class action suit (e.g., did you opt in or out if required)?

Was your VW one of the settlement class vehicles?

BobM61

Yes, I opted in and yes, my vehicle was a class vehicle. But the denial letter said that since my car was repaired after Dec. 22, it wasn't elible because:

...repairs performed after December 22, 2019, the remedy intended under that circumstance being that the Settlement Class Member bring the Settlement Class Vehicle to the VW or Audi dealer...

So I was supposed to use a VW dealer for repairs? Isn't this then an anti trust issue?

quincy

Yes, I opted in and yes, my vehicle was a class vehicle. But the denial letter said that since my car was repaired after Dec. 22, it wasn't elible because:

...repairs performed after December 22, 2019, the remedy intended under that circumstance being that the Settlement Class Member bring the Settlement Class Vehicle to the VW or Audi dealer...

So I was supposed to use a VW dealer for repairs? Isn't this then an anti trust issue?
Your car was not repaired by a VW or Audi dealer? Repairs not done by an authorized dealer can void warranties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">