• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over serving alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Referring to the deceased relative as a "victim" is implying that some sort of wrong was perpetrated against the relative.
The word “victim” is used to describe anyone who is harmed (injured, killed, destroyed) or suffering from an act, condition or circumstance.

adjusterjack

It wouldn't have happened if the loved one hadn't decided to get drunk. Place blame where blame is due.
While I'm not here to condone drunks, that's not always the case. As of 2013 (see article) 30 states hold purveyors of liquor potentially liable for selling or serving alcohol to individuals who cause injuries or death as a result of their intoxication.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/dram-shop-liability-state-statutes.aspx

Wyoming, obviously, is not one of them.

Just thought it appropriate to clarify your assertion, Zig.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While I'm not here to condone drunks, that's not always the case. As of 2013 (see article) 30 states hold purveyors of liquor potentially liable for selling or serving alcohol to individuals who cause injuries or death as a result of their intoxication.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/dram-shop-liability-state-statutes.aspx

Wyoming, obviously, is not one of them.

Just thought it appropriate to clarify your assertion, Zig.
I understand and agree with your point, however, what I stated was true...always.
An accident is the result of a chain-of-events. Break any link in the chain and the accident doesn't happen.

quincy

A personal injury attorney
An initial consultation is (generally) free, so it wouldn’t hurt to contact a personal injury lawyer - but based on what has been said and on the law PayrollHRGuy quoted, there does not appear to be any legal action for a “loved one” of the victim to pursue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">