• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Warrant in Dread"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

courier2003

What is the name of your state? Virginia

This is an edited excerpt from a note I sent along with a Warrant in Debt this past week. I don't have enough money to afford an attorney, so I was hoping I could get some feedback and advice from this group. I just wanted to mention that doing this was painful in more ways than one. Money is useful, but there's one thing it can never do. It can never mend broken relationships, including ones with family. Some situations just can't be helped. The Warrant has already been served, and the "showdown" is scheduled for November 4th, 2021.

To the Louisa County General District Court,

It is with the utmost regret that I must file this Warrant in Debt against my estranged sister for money I feel was entitled to me from our late Father’s estate. In retrospect, I feel that my Dad was negligent in maintaining and updating his will to reflect the wishes he had verbally expressed to me just before his death in March 2019. There is plenty of evidence to suggest he never made any revisions to his will between its creation in 2008 and his death 11 years later. As a result, the conditions of his estate were carried out using outdated information. It has now created a very ugly situation that has destroyed a family relationship.

In 2008, I was still married with a stable job, income, and a house in North Carolina. By 2019, however, my life had changed drastically. I was now divorced and struggling in many ways. I lived in transitional housing in Northern Virginia for several months. I had to declare bankruptcy in 2018, and I’m now dealing with a barrage of health issues which include type 2 diabetes, neuropathy, restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, major depressive disorder, and most recently, a newly discovered heart condition (right bundle branch blockage). I’ve been working as best I can to seek assistance from services where I live in Fairfax County, including the Department of Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). My ability to find stable employment was complicated further by the pandemic and also from my existing health vulnerabilities. Despite my efforts, I’m still dealing with a situation that has become very overwhelming, which has been compounded even further by having absolutely no money to fall back on. I still plan to work, but my health has become too much of an issue. In fact, DARS had to recently deactivate my case until I was able to deal with these health issues and thus be functional for employment. Attempting to accomplish this has been difficult and complicated with only my Medicaid coverage. I’ve been flat broke and struggling in more ways than one for a long time. The only reason why I’m not living on the street or out of my pickup truck is because I’ve been blessed to have a family take me into their home for the last 18 months. I don’t pay rent, so I’ve been earning my keep by helping them with various household chores and repairs.

I think other circumstances surrounding this situation should also be noted. I lived with my Dad for most of the last three years of his life as his unofficial caregiver. In the meantime, my estranged sister did next to nothing to help me with this burden. It was during this time that our relationship began to deteriorate as my outrage at her intensified along with the feeling of being left completely alone with a difficult situation. Dealing with an elderly parent with health issues is challenging enough, but I was also dealing with health issues of my own.

I’d also like to note that my estranged sister already owned two houses at the time of our Dad’s death—the one where she and her husband currently reside in Louisa County and a riverside property in Middlesex County, which she was awarded in 2003 by another deceased relative. I was awarded $27,000 from my Dad’s estate, which was the amount in his bank account at the time of his death. That money didn't last very long because of my situation. A good portion of it was used to pay off my outstanding medical bills. I didn’t have insurance to cover these bills at the time. I didn’t have insurance because I didn’t have a regular paying job. I didn’t have a regular paying job because I was being an unofficial caregiver to my Dad. Are you getting the picture yet?

It’s very unfortunate that none of us seemed to be on the same page with any of this. The three of us should have gotten together before Dad died to make sure his will was consistent with his current wishes----not the ones from 11 years prior! During the last few years of his life, I didn’t want to pester him with those kinds of questions. I trusted that he had his affairs in order. Well, I was wrong, and now it has left an ugly fallout.

I thought my estranged sister and I would split the amount obtained by the sale of my Dad’s house in Wilmington, NC (not necessarily 50/50). I learned instead that she sold the house in June 2019 without even telling me, and then pocketed the entire amount of the sale. She later had the audacity to wonder why I had felt taken, or to quote her, “short changed.” To this very day, I’m still livid over this, and I’m not going to take it lying down. I realize the statute of limitations for contesting my Dad’s will has long passed, but that doesn’t mean I still can’t sue my estranged sister directly. I’m requesting 25% of the amount she received from the sale of my Dad's house in Wilmington, NC.

courier2003

The will is what controls. You are not owed anything but what your father granted you in his will. And that is not a proper filing. Do not expect much to happen with that letter.
So in other words, I'm going to be laughed at by my estranged sister and the court over this effort. Is that what you're saying? What other kind of document should I have used if not a Warrant in Debt? I've already mentioned that I don't have the luxury of affording an attorney, which is why I came on here to get feedback. My Dad didn't update his will before he died, and as a result, my estranged sister had THREE houses to her name at one point in time while I was just left with $27,000 that didn't last long at all because of my situation with medical bills. This whole scenario is completely unfair. I feel very "shafted" regardless of whatever "controls" you claim. You know what? The nice thing about having nothing left to lose is that I can still raise a little legal Hell with my estranged sister and at least put a damper on her day. I'm not going to just do nothing, even if it is a "legal lost cause" for me. If you want to laugh at me too, then be my guest. I seem to be a real joke on here. SMFH

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So in other words, I'm going to be laughed at by my estranged sister and the court over this effort. Is that what you're saying? What other kind of document should I have used if not a Warrant in Debt? I've already mentioned that I don't have the luxury of affording an attorney, which is why I came on here to get feedback. My Dad didn't update his will before he died, and as a result, my estranged sister had THREE houses to her name at one point in time while I was just left with $27,000 that didn't last long at all because of my situation with medical bills. This whole scenario is completely unfair. I feel very "shafted" regardless of whatever "controls" you claim. You know what? The nice thing about having nothing left to lose is that I can still raise a little legal Hell with my estranged sister and at least put a damper on her day. I'm not going to just do nothing, even if it is a "legal lost cause" for me. If you want to laugh at me too, then be my guest. I seem to be a real joke on here. SMFH
The will is what matters and the will is what determines how things are distributed. Don't blame your sister - blame your now-deceased father.

Edit: I can't speak about what your sister may or may not do, but I can assure you that nobody here or at the court is laughing at you.

courier2003

The will is what matters and the will is what determines how things are distributed. Don't blame your sister - blame your now-deceased father.

Edit: I can't speak about what your sister may or may not do, but I can assure you that nobody here or at the court is laughing at you.
Right!

courier2003

Sheesh! Why the hostility? We didn't write your father's will. Your father did. If he didn't feel the need to update it, that was his choice.
If you had any idea what I'm going through right now, then maybe you'd understand. At least know it's nothing personal. By the way, it was my father's MISTAKE, not his choice. This is not what he would have wanted as his final wishes. He was simply negligent in updating his final wishes, and now it has led to this situation.

Zigner

If you had any idea what I'm going through right now, then maybe you'd understand. At least know it's nothing personal. By the way, it was my father's MISTAKE, not his choice. This is not what he would have wanted as his final wishes. He was simply negligent in updating his final wishes, and now it has led to this situation.
An unsuccessful lawsuit against the rightful recipient of your dad's bequests won't help you feel any better. You would be better served by speaking to a therapist.

courier2003

I'm already doing that. I've been in counseling and on meds for years. It's not doing very much to help me with this. I'm really not as dumb as you might think. I know I have issues.

courier2003

I'm sorry I ever took the time to care. Look where it got me. With any luck, I'll be dead soon from all of my medical issues. Then, it won't make any difference. At least none of you will have to read any more of my posts. At least you'll be spared from that.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? Virginia

In retrospect, I feel that my Dad was negligent in maintaining and updating his will to reflect the wishes he had verbally expressed to me just before his death in March 2019. There is plenty of evidence to suggest he never made any revisions to his will between its creation in 2008 and his death 11 years later. As a result, the conditions of his estate were carried out using outdated information.

An unfortunate situation. But the law provides that the last will made by the decedent is what controls distribution of the estate of the decedent unless you can get the will invalidated for some reason (e.g. fraud, duress, incapacity at the time of executing the will, undue influence, proof of revocation of the will, etc). It's your father's choice what to do with his estate. Legally, he owed you nothing. If he had wanted to update his will, he should have got around to doing that. Since he didn't, that's on him. I don't know what, if anything, you got from the estate but given your apparent health and financial situation it would have been nice for your sister to share more of the estate with you. However, legally she did not have to do that. She was entitled to take what the will gave her.

Your plea as laid out in the letter you quoted is sympathetic, but provides no valid claim as to why you should get more of the estate. You cannot prevail on an argument that essentially goes "I need it more than she does and because of that I know that's what my father would have wanted." It doesn't matter that he was thinking about changing his will, or that he verbally discussed changing it with you, etc. Either he actually does a new will or he doesn't. If he doesn't, a court isn't going to try to divine what kind of changes he would have made if he'd gotten around to it. The law assumes that what he wanted is in the will.

It has now created a very ugly situation that has destroyed a family relationship.
It happens more than I'd like that families get torn up over battles over an estate. Money can bring out the worst in some people. Don't let it consume you. Your father didn't get around to changing his will. But that doesn't mean he cared for you any less. He may just not have got around to it. That happens a lot.

My mother had gone to her lawyer to update her will and got a new one drafted but died suddenly and unexpectedly before she could execute the new will. The effect of the changes would give me less and my sister and niece more. I could have insisted on taking the larger share given me in the signed will that was in effect — my sister would not have been able to get the new unsigned will declared the valid will. But the money was not as important to me as the family relationship so I offered to disclaim part of the estate to achieve what the new will would have done.

To this very day, I’m still livid over this, and I’m not going to take it lying down. I realize the statute of limitations for contesting my Dad’s will has long passed, but that doesn’t mean I still can’t sue my estranged sister directly. I’m requesting 25% of the amount she received from the sale of my Dad's house in Wilmington, NC.
And what basis are you asserting that she owes you that 25%? Just saying you need the money doesn't cut it.

Zigner

I realize the statute of limitations for contesting my Dad’s will has long passed, but that doesn’t mean I still can’t sue my estranged sister directly. I’m requesting 25% of the amount she received from the sale of my Dad's house in Wilmington, NC.
And what basis are you asserting that she owes you that 25%? Just saying you need the money doesn't cut it.
@Taxing Matters - could a baseless lawsuit open up this OP to monetary sanctions?

Explanation for the OP: I'm asking if filing a suit that you KNOW is baseless could expose you to the possibility of being penalized monetarily by the court.

courier2003

@Taxing Matters - could a baseless lawsuit open up this OP to monetary sanctions?

Explanation for the OP: I'm asking if filing a suit that you KNOW is baseless could expose you to the possibility of being penalized monetarily by the court.
What are they going to sue me for? I'm already broke. If they want to lock me up then let them do it. I have nothing left to lose now. Maybe I do indeed belong in a cage.

doucar

In Virginia. a warrant in debt is brought in the General District Court, a court not of record, which would not have jurisdiction over an estate or estate distribution so the case will be dismissed sua sponte. Unless the sister asks for them, no sanctions.

Zigner

What are they going to sue me for? I'm already broke. If they want to lock me up then let them do it.
Filing a lawsuit that you KNOW (or should reasonably know) is improper can lead the court (at the request of the other party) to issue sanctions against you. @Taxing Matters is an attorney and is much more knowledgeable about this than I am. I don't think that your sister would ask for this, but I'm just pointing out that it may be possible.

EDIT: The point is that filing a lawsuit that you know is improper, just because you're pissed, is not a wise thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">