• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Am I liable for damages to components which are covered by snow in someones driveway ?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
STATE OF OCCURRENCE: OHIO.
So the following paragraph(s) was my statement of the alleged damage caused at the residence of the customer who I was Sub-Contracted to provide a service.

Upon arrival at the residence, we noticed that the driveway was filled and covered with ice. This driveway is a long winding driveway that has edge markers for the snowplow. However, in the turnaround area where the alleged damage took place, there are zero markers to identify any electrical boxes or any other type of areas that may be vulnerable to the potential damage that can be created by a vehicle. Furthermore, the customer was notified 30-40 mins prior to our arrival for the service call. The homeowner should have taken the proper steps to receive us at his residence by making sure that one, the driveway was safe and accessible for us to enter, and two, he should have made sure that all hazardous areas, or areas that were snow-covered which could receive damage from a vehicle, be fully marked and visible for anyone operating a motor vehicle could see. The homeowner came out of the home waving his arms after we had made the turn in the driveway. I parked the truck and got out. He said that we hit his “electrical lines’ which weren’t visible to me at all from the moving truck. I then replied to him,” you did know we were coming correct? Because your driveway is very icy” If he is unpleased in any fashion we do apologize but it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure that we as service providers can enter and exit his property fully without causing unforeseen damage to snow-covered areas. Meaning, the areas in question should have been properly marked, or he should have met us in the driveway upon our arrival to tell/show us where those locations may be.

The client is asking that I pay for any damages caused to low-voltage wiring & an electrical outlet that was in a snow-covered area, which was not marked by any cones, snowplow edge markers, or caution tape. Furthermore, when we were almost parked, was when he came out waving his arms in a "stop" type of fashion. I thought he was thinking we were going to leave the property, but in actuality, we were putting the truck in park.
after we completed the service, he joked with us about his dogs barking, and about the ever-changing weather as we walked out of the home. He did not in any fashion ask us to re-visit the area where the alleged damage took place so that we could examine it before we left. He also had a visitor from Pennsylvania (parked car with out-of-state plates), and he also seemingly uses a snowplow service due to the edge markers in the driveway. This driveway is gravel and it's a winding downhill driveway that is about 300' long.

Since all, we observed together were about 3' of electrical lines that were embedded in snow, and none of the other reported damage was noted at the time, am I liable for the repairs for any components that were snow-covered in an area that was not marked at all for a motorist to see, and to visually notify that motorist to use proper care while moving past that area? I was not negligent in my speed as we were traveling about 5MPH, and the caution that I did exercise would be that of any other human being who drives the same vehicle daily, and who would be in that same situation.

Just Blue

STATE OF OCCURRENCE: OHIO.
So the following paragraph(s) was my statement of the alleged damage caused at the residence of the customer who I was Sub-Contracted to provide a service.

Upon arrival at the residence, we noticed that the driveway was filled and covered with ice. This driveway is a long winding driveway that has edge markers for the snowplow. However, in the turnaround area where the alleged damage took place, there are zero markers to identify any electrical boxes or any other type of areas that may be vulnerable to the potential damage that can be created by a vehicle. Furthermore, the customer was notified 30-40 mins prior to our arrival for the service call. The homeowner should have taken the proper steps to receive us at his residence by making sure that one, the driveway was safe and accessible for us to enter, and two, he should have made sure that all hazardous areas, or areas that were snow-covered which could receive damage from a vehicle, be fully marked and visible for anyone operating a motor vehicle could see. The homeowner came out of the home waving his arms after we had made the turn in the driveway. I parked the truck and got out. He said that we hit his “electrical lines’ which weren’t visible to me at all from the moving truck. I then replied to him,” you did know we were coming correct? Because your driveway is very icy” If he is unpleased in any fashion we do apologize but it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure that we as service providers can enter and exit his property fully without causing unforeseen damage to snow-covered areas. Meaning, the areas in question should have been properly marked, or he should have met us in the driveway upon our arrival to tell/show us where those locations may be.

The client is asking that I pay for any damages caused to low-voltage wiring & an electrical outlet that was in a snow-covered area, which was not marked by any cones, snowplow edge markers, or caution tape. Furthermore, when we were almost parked, was when he came out waving his arms in a "stop" type of fashion. I thought he was thinking we were going to leave the property, but in actuality, we were putting the truck in park.
after we completed the service, he joked with us about his dogs barking, and about the ever-changing weather as we walked out of the home. He did not in any fashion ask us to re-visit the area where the alleged damage took place so that we could examine it before we left. He also had a visitor from Pennsylvania (parked car with out-of-state plates), and he also seemingly uses a snowplow service due to the edge markers in the driveway. This driveway is gravel and it's a winding downhill driveway that is about 300' long.

Since all, we observed together were about 3' of electrical lines that were embedded in snow, and none of the other reported damage was noted at the time, am I liable for the repairs for any components that were snow-covered in an area that was not marked at all for a motorist to see, and to visually notify that motorist to use proper care while moving past that area? I was not negligent in my speed as we were traveling about 5MPH, and the caution that I did exercise would be that of any other human being who drives the same vehicle daily, and who would be in that same situation.

"Statement" to whom?
Did you notify your insurance company of the accident?
Is the customer suing you?
Do you have an attorney?

Do you have liability insurance for the operation of the snow plow?
I was not driving a snowplow. I was driving a box truck. I assumed he had a snowplow service due to the length of the driveway, the fact that the driveway is gravel, and the fact that there were edge markers in the driveway, but not around the landscaped area in the center of the driveway where the alleged damage took place. My point is that since the landscaped area was snow-covered, and wasn't marked properly for anyone to see how could someone blame me for concealed damage? We don't know if we ran something over, or if someone else may have, like the snowplow driver or another visitor.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My point is that since the landscaped area was snow-covered, and wasn't marked properly for anyone to see how could someone blame me for concealed damage?
By saying that you negligently drove onto the property without knowing if it was safe to do so.

I'm not commenting about whether or not I think you're liable, rather, I'm pointing out the other side of the argument that you seem unwilling to acknowledge.

"Statement" to whom?
Did you notify your insurance company of the accident?
Is the customer suing you?
Do you have an attorney?
[/QUOTE
No. The damage in the photos that he provided was for a low-voltage box and one landscaping light. The customer has to go through a claims process with me directly since he filed a claim through a third party that carries the insurance for my employer. I do have an attorney, but again a matter like this isn't even worth the time to pay $500 or more for a letter to be written.

By saying that you negligently drove onto the property without knowing if it was safe to do so.

I'm not commenting about whether or not I think you're liable, rather, I'm pointing out the other side of the argument that you seem unwilling to acknowledge.
Is this not true ?: Fault is based on either an intentional bad act (i.e., deliberately damaging someone’s property) or on negligence. Negligence is “unreasonable carelessness”—not being as careful as the hypothetical reasonable person would be in that situation. The fault is critical. If the contractor was not being careless or did not deliberately cause damage, the contractor is not responsible.

I was traveling at a speed of less than 5mph when I got to the point in the driveway where the turnaround area was (circular turn around). There were no driveway markers outlining any landscaping area, only the edges. How can someone be careless to the point where they are considered to be negligent if the area where the alleged damage took place was snow-covered and not visible to any motorist who would have been in that same situation? The area is also in plane with the driveway. It is not a raised feature or anything like that.

adjusterjack

Zigner likes to play devil's advocate. So do I.

Given the circumstances you describe, you would not be liable for damage to something that you couldn't see because it was covered with snow.

adjusterjack

But that doesn't mean they won't sue you and try to prove negligence.
Hence my question about liability insurance.

Unless the damage is more that a few hundred, Melissa's employer's insurance should be notified.

Which leads me to ask, why is the customer going through a "claims process" with you instead of with your employer's insurance?

The customer has to go through a claims process with me directly since he filed a claim through a third party that carries the insurance for my employer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner likes to play devil's advocate. So do I.

Given the circumstances you describe, you would not be liable for damage to something that you couldn't see because it was covered with snow.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "would not", but I might go so far as to say "probably would not".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">