• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Assault in a Cruise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jack912

Texas
Hi,
A sexual assault taken place against my daughter (22years old) by one of the passenger (who is around 45-47yrs old) at a cruise ship and the matter has been reported to the cruise security.
As requested by the security, police came today morning when cruise arrived back to the port, but, the police said incident took place at international water hence only FBI can act on it; or else I have to deal the matter in a civil court.
I was told that these kind of crime taking place at international water should be notified to the FBI by the cruise company.
What can I do to get justice to my daughter? She is totally upset.
Please someone advice.
thanks

quincy

Texas
Hi,
A sexual assault taken place against my daughter (22years old) by one of the passenger (who is around 45-47yrs old) at a cruise ship and the matter has been reported to the cruise security.
As requested by the security, police came today morning when cruise arrived back to the port, but, the police said incident took place at international water hence only FBI can act on it; or else I have to deal the matter in a civil court.
I was told that these kind of crime taking place at international water should be notified to the FBI by the cruise company.
What can I do to get justice to my daughter? She is totally upset.
Please someone advice.
thanks
What you were told is correct. Crimes committed against U.S. citizens when the crimes are committed on cruise ships sailing in international waters must be reported by the cruise ship to the FBI. That is US law.

In what country does your daughter’s assailant reside? Was he detained in the US? What country’s flag was the cruise ship flying under? That country’s laws generally will apply.

There are lawyers who actually specialize in sexual assault crimes on cruise ships. Your daughter could check with the Texas Bar to see if a firm in her area can assist. In the meantime, she could look over the information provided by the International Cruise Victims Organization - https://internationalcruisevictims.org - to see if anything or anyone there can be of help.

Because your daughter is an adult, there is only so much you as a parent can do other than provide her with support and perhaps money to help pay for an attorney.

Last edited:

Jack912

Thanks for your reply.
My daughter is a British citizen and last three years we are in US on green Card
Assailant is US citizen and I am not sure about what flag cruise ship carries
It’s Carnival Valour cruise

quincy

Thanks for your reply.
My daughter is a British citizen and last three years we are in US on green Card
Your daughter can consult with an attorney in her area. It actually helps that both your daughter and her assailant are in the US.

Was the guy detained by the police?

Jack912

Thanks for your reply

he hasn’t been detained by police. The officer says they can’t do anything since sea water is not their jurisdiction

quincy

Thanks for your reply

he hasn’t been detained by police. The officer says they can’t do anything since sea water is not their jurisdiction
Interesting.

I recommend your daughter speak to an attorney soon. And she will want to gather together any evidence she has to support her claims of sexual assault (e.g., medical examination record, witness names/addresses/statements, etc) and the attorney she sees will want any video evidence from the cruise ship preserved.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Thanks for your reply.
Like most of Carnival's ships, the Valor is registered in Panama and flies the Panamanian flag. Thus in international waters, it is generally Panamanian law that applies. However, the ship's home port is the US, which can make the cruise a potential defendant in a lawsuit over the attack if there is any fault on the part of the cruise line to be found.

Jack912

Interesting.

I recommend your daughter speak to an attorney soon. And she will want to gather together any evidence she has to support her claims of sexual assault (e.g., medical examination record, witness names/addresses/statements, etc) and the attorney she sees will want any video evidence from the cruise ship preserved.
Thanks

zddoodah

the police said incident took place at international water
Does your daughter agree that this is true?

or else I have to deal the matter in a civil court.
No. Your daughter is an adult. You have no standing to do anything.

What can I do to get justice to my daughter?
Again, you have no standing to do anything. If your daughter wants the FBI to be involved, then she should call the FBI. However, since the alleged assault took place on a ship of Panamanian registry in international waters, the FBI might be reluctant to do anything. Otherwise, her recourse will be to sue the alleged attacker. Out of curiosity, is there any evidence of the alleged crime other than your daughter's testimony?

Jack912

At the time of incident reported, cruise was in international water.
My son was with her in that room; he is the only witness for the rape attempt

Jack912

Does your daughter agree that this is true?

No. Your daughter is an adult. You have no standing to do anything.

Again, you have no standing to do anything. If your daughter wants the FBI to be involved, then she should call the FBI. However, since the alleged assault took place on a ship of Panamanian registry in international waters, the FBI might be reluctant to do anything. Otherwise, her recourse will be to sue the alleged attacker. Out of curiosity, is there any evidence of the alleged crime other than your daughter's testimony?
At the time of incident reported, cruise was in international water.
My son was with her in that room; he is the only witness for the rape attempt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">