• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jaywalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

workguy25

What is the name of your state? CA. It was well in front of me but I saw someone jaywalking. I would NOT care to do this but just wondering: if someone was getting out of their car, and the driver recorded the pedestrian jaywalking, and shows police, how likely is it the pedestrian will be in trouble? If so how much?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? CA. It was well in front of me but I saw someone jaywalking. I would NOT care to do this but just wondering: if someone was getting out of their car, and the driver recorded the pedestrian jaywalking, and shows police, how likely is it the pedestrian will be in trouble? If so how much?
Based on what you've shared, no, it's not likely in the slightest. That makes your second question moot.

POST Hx.

zddoodah

if someone was getting out of their car, and the driver recorded the pedestrian jaywalking, and shows police, how likely is it the pedestrian will be in trouble?
Even if the pedestrian could be identified from the video (and I'd imagine that, in most cases, there's about a 0.001% chance of that), the likelihood that the cops would issue a ticket would be infinitesimal (unless this happened in a jurisdiction where the cops have virtually nothing to do).

If so how much?
In California, jaywalking is prohibited by Vehicle Code section 21955. It is an infraction that carries a base fine of $196, plus administrative fees and assessments that vary from county to county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">