• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an apartment management restrict pets' excretion in common areas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
OP needs to be aware that an ESA can be trained, it is not a requirement.
True, which is why I said earlier: " Owners can train their dogs to signal when they need to relieve themselves (indeed, true support animals are trained that way) and the owner can then take the dog to a permitted area to do that."

Of course, responsible neighbors would try to be aware of what are reasonable community expectations, and would do what they could to peacefully coexist.
And of course we have seen plenty of examples on these boards where people give no thought to anyone but themselves. It's one of the bases for the "Karen" meme that has been so popular. We'd have so much less conflict if everyone gave just a little thought to how their words and actions may afffect others before they do it. Sadly it seems we've had a generation or two of parents who think that as long as their kid gets what the kid wants that's all that matters, with the result that we end up with adults who give thought only to themselves. :confused:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
We surely hope we could coexist peacefully. I just realized my post sounded quite offensive to the dog lovers. I'm very sorry if my post makes you feel unpleasant.
No worries here - I'm not a dog person.

Coexisting is a two way street. Your neighbor might be a responsible neighbor - or not. Picking up after their animal is a start, and a positive sign that a solution that is mutually satisfactory is possible. They have rights, you have rights - both parties have to recognize that.

FarmerJ

When you called your city to learn if it has a well written dog poop ordinance where a property owner can be ticketed for having more than X numbers of poop piles in a lawn that pet owner did not pick up ? what did they tell you ( when i lived in mpls the city ord was written so a ticket could be written if there were more than 3 poop piles left un picked up on a lawn)

PAPP

When you called your city to learn if it has a well written dog poop ordinance where a property owner can be ticketed for having more than X numbers of poop piles in a lawn that pet owner did not pick up ? what did they tell you ( when i lived in mpls the city ord was written so a ticket could be written if there were more than 3 poop piles left un picked up on a lawn)
Wow, I didn't know there was actually a law about dog poop. I thought it was just etiquette. It seems my city has an ordinance about it, but so far only I can find is a summary which simply says dog poop should be removed.

LdiJ

We surely hope we could coexist peacefully. I just realized my post sounded quite offensive to the dog lovers. I'm very sorry if my post makes you feel unpleasant.

My SO and I have never been a dog owner. I'm not afraid of dogs, but I'm not very comfortable being with dogs because I was bitten by a big dog when I was a child. That's why we always find an apartment with no pet policy and we haven't had this kind of issue in the past.
Quite frankly, I don't understand your complaint at all. You said that the dog owner cleaned up after their dog, so why do you care where the dog excretes if the owner is cleaning up after the dog?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Quite frankly, I don't understand your complaint at all. You said that the dog owner cleaned up after their dog, so why do you care where the dog excretes if the owner is cleaning up after the dog?
I'm going to assume the issue arises wrt urine (which can't be cleaned up - the best that can be done is to wash away/dilute w/water) and less well-formed feces, which can be difficult to completely remove...

LdiJ

I'm going to assume the issue arises wrt urine (which can't be cleaned up - the best that can be done is to wash away/dilute w/water) and less well-formed feces, which can be difficult to completely remove...
True, but wild animals, chipmonks, squirrels, and other critters are going to excrete all over those common areas too.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
True, but wild animals, chipmunks, squirrels, and other critters are going to excrete all over those common areas too.
And birds... Though, depending on the dog in question, he might take over poop patrol for all those other critters leavings! (not that I know *anything* about that!)

PAPP

I understand your opinion. I'm kind of cleanliness obsessive and I'm always said I think and do too much about cleanliness. However, my SO is not. He saw the dog urinated near BBQ grills in the courtyard. Even though he didn't care about cleanliness so much, he thought it was not good. Then he saw the dog pooped near the swimming pool entrance, he thought that was enough for him. He said it was like seeing people letting small kids excrete in the public places for him.

We understand animals in the nature come and excrete in our courtyard. However, we are assuming the dog owners can control their dogs in some level to excrete where they do. If they can, we would appreciate it if the fellow tenant takes her dog somewhere to excrete besides the courtyard where we cook and eat. It's a personal preference. I do understand some people agree with it and some don't.

LdiJ

I understand your opinion. I'm kind of cleanliness obsessive and I'm always said I think and do too much about cleanliness. However, my SO is not. He saw the dog urinated near BBQ grills in the courtyard. Even though he didn't care about cleanliness so much, he thought it was not good. Then he saw the dog pooped near the swimming pool entrance, he thought that was enough for him. He said it was like seeing people letting small kids excrete in the public places for him.

We understand animals in the nature come and excrete in our courtyard. However, we are assuming the dog owners can control their dogs in some level to excrete where they do. If they can, we would appreciate it if the fellow tenant takes her dog somewhere to excrete besides the courtyard where we cook and eat. It's a personal preference. I do understand some people agree with it and some don't.
I don't think its a question so much of agreeing or disagreeing. I think its more a question of just not caring at all as long as it is cleaned up. I am also pretty certain that your neighbor's lease does not address anything other than cleaning up after her animal. Therefore, it is questionable whether the landlord could do anything about the matter even if the landlord wishes to do so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I still think this is a matter for the Board of Health. Depending on how close to the barbecue grills we're talking.

PAPP

I don't think its a question so much of agreeing or disagreeing. I think its more a question of just not caring at all as long as it is cleaned up. I am also pretty certain that your neighbor's lease does not address anything other than cleaning up after her animal. Therefore, it is questionable whether the landlord could do anything about the matter even if the landlord wishes to do so.
I have no idea what the apartment management will do. However, the apartment manager agreed that if there was no issue with whatever laws involved, he would talk to the fellow tenant if she could take her dog somewhere besides the courtyard to excrete as an amicable request. We hope it will resolve the issue.

I still think this is a matter for the Board of Health. Depending on how close to the barbecue grills we're talking.
My SO is out now, so I don't know how close it was. When I tried to google about the BBQ grill regulations, all I got was fire regulations. I don't know how to search it. Any suggestion?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes.

1.) Pick up the phone.
2.) Dial the local Board of Health
3.) When someone answers, describe the situation.
4.) After your description of the issue ask the question, "Are any health laws implicated by this matter? If so what, and what do you suggest would be my next step?"
5.) Listen to the answer, and follow their advice.

Or don't.

You don't have to know the answer before you call. That's what they're there for.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Was the dog on a leash when it did this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds like the OP's biggest concern is someone having to see the dog poop. Personally, if a dog's pooping, I look away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">