• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you use bank statements as proof of income for apartment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

can you use bank statements as proof of income for apartment?
What is the name of your state?

As a landlord, I can tell you that bank statements have been used by us in the past to help support proof of income. Even so, if a prospective tenant is not employed, we still generally require a co-signer.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The main legal issue is ensuring that the application requirements are consistent for all applicants. You do not want to face an illegal discrimination charge by treating some kinds of applicants different than others.

quincy

The main legal issue is ensuring that the application requirements are consistent for all applicants. You do not want to face an illegal discrimination charge by treating some kinds of applicants different than others.
The main legal issue would more likely come from discrimination based on the source of a prospective tenant’s income rather than proof of a prospective tenant’s income.

Here is an overview of source of income laws from the Local Housing Solutions Organization:

https://localhousingsolutions.org/housing-policy-library/source-of-income-laws/#:~:text=One of the most common,the Housing Choice Voucher program.

This is where hudson99999’s state name can be important.

edit to add to and perhaps clarify my previous post: I rent primarily to college students whose parents provide them with financial support.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The main legal issue would more likely come from discrimination based on the source of a prospective tenant’s income rather than proof of a prospective tenant’s income.
Both requiring either more proof of income or the source of the income by some tenants than others based upon a person's protected class are just variations of the same thing: in both instances the landlord is burdening some classes of applicants more and effectively saying that the applicant is less trustworthy than other classes. So from my perspective, I see them as much the same, generally speaking.

Of course, if there is a law that specifically focuses on asking about the source of income and does not address the proof of income, that puts the thumb on the side of the scale related to source, but even with that the landlord cannot overlook other possible illegal discrimination in the leasing process. Those can get the landlord in trouble, too.

quincy

Both requiring either more proof of income or the source of the income by some tenants than others based upon a person's protected class are just variations of the same thing: in both instances the landlord is burdening some classes of applicants more and effectively saying that the applicant is less trustworthy than other classes. So from my perspective, I see them as much the same, generally speaking.

Of course, if there is a law that specifically focuses on asking about the source of income and does not address the proof of income, that puts the thumb on the side of the scale related to source, but even with that the landlord cannot overlook other possible illegal discrimination in the leasing process. Those can get the landlord in trouble, too.
Sure. It is important to avoid all illegal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">