• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required health insurance for child, state of CA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anderpomo

What is the name of your state? CA

In California, it is standard in child support cases that both parents cover the child(ren) with medical insurance.

The medical insurance that I currently have through my employer does not include coverage for any doctors in the county my child lives. The other parent refuses to bring the child to my county (15-20 min drive) for medical coverage and therefore I am paying (quite a lot) for insurance that will never be used (it covers 0 out of network cost). Has anyone ever had this amended? Is this possible?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's possible to have the order amended so that you are reimbursing the other parent for the cost of coverage for the child.

LdiJ

It's possible to have the order amended so that you are reimbursing the other parent for the cost of coverage for the child.
Actually, in CA I am pretty sure that whoevers pays the child's health insurance factors into the child support calculation rather than one parent reimbursing the other for health insurance. In the end, the overall out of pocket probably remains pretty much the same, but I think that is how it's done, so yes, it should be able to be amended and CS recalculated.

Or, perhaps the judge would simply order that the custodial parent drive the 15-20 minutes to get the child health care in the county the insurance covers? I suspect that would not be the case but who knows?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">