• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Officer on Coumadin Needs Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TPD

What is the name of your state? FL

I am a police officer in Florida. Recently, and as the result of an on duty injury, I suffered a pulmonary embolism. Subsequently, I am faced with the possibility of life-long Coumadin (blood-thinner) therapy. I'm afraid my agency will not let me continue my active-duty employment due to my increased risk of "bleeding-to-death!" I want to continue my career; I love my job and it is my life! If, in a worst case scenario, I am advised to take Coumadin "forever," can they make me quit (fire me)? I have already stated, to anyone who will listen, I am willing to accept the increased risk, its a risky job anyway! I am fully capable of performing the duties my job requires (I'm a very physically fit individual). I have been in law enforcement for 14 years, 9 with my current agency...

Thank you,
Ray

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TPD said:
What is the name of your state? FL

I am a police officer in Florida. Recently, and as the result of an on duty injury, I suffered a pulmonary embolism. Subsequently, I am faced with the possibility of life-long Coumadin (blood-thinner) therapy. I'm afraid my agency will not let me continue my active-duty employment due to my increased risk of "bleeding-to-death!" I want to continue my career; I love my job and it is my life! If, in a worst case scenario, I am advised to take Coumadin "forever," can they make me quit (fire me)? I have already stated, to anyone who will listen, I am willing to accept the increased risk, its a risky job anyway! I am fully capable of performing the duties my job requires (I'm a very physically fit individual). I have been in law enforcement for 14 years, 9 with my current agency...

Thank you,
Ray

My response:

I'm not sure if you're asking a legal question or a medical question. If the latter, there are many other sites that can help you.

However, and due to my non-medical background, and God forbid, you should be shot, or knifed, would you not bleed just as much with Coumadin as without?

I guess I'm having trouble with the correlation between your medication and your job. What has your CO said about this? What has your PD doctor said about this?

Oh, and if nothing else, I want to say "Thank You" for being there.

IAAL

JETX

"if I am advised to take Coumadin "forever," can they make me quit (fire me)?"
*** If they have a medical policy prohibiting active duty on that specific medication, yes.

"I have already stated, to anyone who will listen, I am willing to accept the increased risk, its a risky job anyway!"
*** If it is prohibited, I would doubt that they would make an exception. But you are certainly free to ask if it is an issue.

"I am fully capable of performing the duties my job requires (I'm a very physically fit individual). I have been in law enforcement for 14 years, 9 with my current agency..."
*** Thank you.... but not really relevant.

I had an uncle who was a very successful airline pilot. Very good physical condition, top 10 in seniority, got every flight that he wanted. All that changed when he was diagnosed with high blood pressure at a relatively young age. The medication that was prescribed barred him from flying. Career over. Happens to the best of them.... and usually nothing can be done about it.

Last edited:
T

TPD

I sincerely thank you both for your responses...

I have tried to address this eventuality with both my agency and work-comp liaison. Both have taken a "let's wait and see" stance. I guess I will have to play along... On a positive note, the agency has already told me it makes these decisions on a case-by-case basis.

As for me bleeding as much as the next guy after sustaining trauma, it is open to debate. My personal physician thinks I don't need coumadin "forever" and believes I can be put on other "less-dangerous" drugs if anticoagulation is suggested down the road... I hope his opinion plays a role in this decision (He's not a work-comp doctor).

T

TPD

The assignment of Detective is definitely an option that I would be pleased to accept... I am currently temporarily assigned to a forgery unit, light duty status, and there is a good possibility I will be permanently assigned there soon.

I was thinking that this would help balance out the "risk" scale in a worst case scenario. I used to work under-cover narcotics and execute search warrants for a living. Now, I hope to conduct latent investigations and take coumadin. It sounds fair to me...

Thanks again for all of your guidance. I will be reviewing the links you sent me...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">