• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmothers threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MommaR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Recently my mother in law and l had a falling out where she assaulted me. She threatened to file for custody if we (the father and l) didn’t let her see our child. She (mother in law) is mentally unstable and locks herself in her room at times. She comes home drunk all hours of the night and has many different men coming and going from the house. She is also very verbally abusive to both her son and l. l feel my daughter would be much better without this woman around her.Is there anything l can do to prevent her from being in our lives? I’ve blocked her on all social media and blocked her phone number but her son( my fiancé) still stays in contact with her and feels it’s not right for me to keep our daughter away from his mother thus creating issues between he and l as well.

PayrollHRGuy

Under Texas law she doesn't have a leg to stand on unless she can prove one of the below. I'd also report the assault to the police.

The parents divorced;
The parent abused or neglected the child;
The parent has been incarcerated, found incompetent, or died;
A court-order terminated the parent-child relationship; or
The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Under Texas law she doesn't have a leg to stand on unless she can prove one of the below. I'd also report the assault to the police.

The parents divorced;
The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months.
The child's FATHER has no problem with kiddo seeing her...

PayrollHRGuy

That's a problem. I need to stop speed reading.

In that case report the crime the M-I-L committed and work it all out with the child's father.

People really should do a better job of picking mates.

MommaR

Her father thinks that I’m just overreacting but l don’t see how he could possibly think that her house would be a safe environment for our daughter which causes us to fight.

MommaR

The parents divorced;
The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months.[/QUOTE

Honestly l realize the courts would probably just laugh at her if she ever tried to open a case against as she would have no case. My daughter is well taken care of and is a happy baby. l just want her grandmother out of her life.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Honestly l realize the courts would probably just laugh at her if she ever tried to open a case against as she would have no case. My daughter is well taken care of and is a happy baby. l just want her grandmother out of her life.
Just be aware that no matter what happens between you and your fiance, he will be allowed to take his child around his mother unless you can prove to the court that she represents a real threat to the child.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She doesn't have to file a case. If dad wants to bring kiddo around her then dad can bring kiddo around her.

MommaR

l grew up in a broken home so lm going to do everything l can to ensure my daughter doesn’t as long as the fathers and my relationship is healthy. Up until now he and l haven’t had any serious problems. l feel it would be foolish to reconsider our relationship over something like this. Hopefully he and l can get something taken care of soon.

MommaR

His mother is the one trying to intervene in our lives. She has no business being around my daughter.

MommaR

Well l can’t force him to feel differently but it’s in my daughters best interest that she doesn’t have any contact with his mother due to her erratic behavior. Is there anything l can do to prevent her from seeing our child if the father finally realizes she is an unhealthy influence on our daughters life?

LdiJ

Well l can’t force him to feel differently but it’s in my daughters best interest that she doesn’t have any contact with his mother due to her erratic behavior. Is there anything l can do to prevent her from seeing our child if the father finally realizes she is an unhealthy influence on our daughters life?
No contact at all might be a bit of a problem if her son wants her to have contact. How about supervised contact with you and dad present, and you and dad remove the child from the location if grandma acts up?

Of course grandma will not get custody, but as everyone has said, you cannot prevent dad from taking the child around his mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">