• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shai_155

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My sister who is 16 recently had a baby 4 days ago.

He had asked to take the baby for the weekend, but my parents had said no, because it's new to the world and it just got him along with the mother.

He didn't like that answer, and him and his mother proceeded to yell and threaten my parents over the phone. Eventually they came over, and his mother, himself and some of his friends decided it was better to attack my dad outside the house while he's on the phone and use a knife on him. While they attacked him the father of the child said he was going to kill my father. ( Caught on tape)

My father ended up going to the hospital with bruises, cuts ( needed stitches) and black eye. My parents plan on filing for a restraining order and to press charges. Because they fear for they're safety, along with my sister and her child.

He continues to contact my sister saying that he's going to show up and get his kid. What rights do my parents have?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My sister who is 16 recently had a baby 4 days ago.

He had asked to take the baby for the weekend, but my parents had said no, because it's new to the world and it just got him along with the mother.

He didn't like that answer, and him and his mother proceeded to yell and threaten my parents over the phone. Eventually they came over, and his mother, himself and some of his friends decided it was better to attack my dad outside the house while he's on the phone and use a knife on him. While they attacked him the father of the child said he was going to kill my father. ( Caught on tape)

My father ended up going to the hospital with bruises, cuts ( needed stitches) and black eye. My parents plan on filing for a restraining order and to press charges. Because they fear for they're safety, along with my sister and her child.

He continues to contact my sister saying that he's going to show up and get his kid. What rights do my parents have?
I hope that your parents called the police!?

Your parents do not have any inherent rights regarding their grandchild. Therefore, technically they did not have the right to tell him yes or no about having the child. Your sister, as the child's unwed mother does have all the rights, until a judge decides otherwise.

Your parents have the right to refuse him entry to their home. Your parents have the right to get restraining orders considering what the father and his family and friends did. (they should get the restraining order against everyone who was there, and they should name everyone that was there to the police) Your parents have the right to include any minors living in their home as protected persons under restraining orders.

The father of the child however, can go to court and get at least supervised visits with his child, so they cannot expect that the child will remain under restraining orders for forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">