• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance for kids after divorce, kids live in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cromos

I got a divorce in Texas a couple years ago, and as usual, one of the requirements for me was to keep insurance on the kids (kids live with my ex). I now live in California, where I was laid off a little over a year ago. I am at the end of my COBRA benefits and I need to seek individual insurance for the kids. But here's the problem, since I live in California, and the kids live in Texas, I am having a really hard time finding insurance for them. Two agents I have talked to have told me that Texas does not allow child-only medical plans...there needs to be an adult on the plan. I can't be on it, because I don't live in Texas, and I wouldn't be covered under any benefits here in California, so it would be pointless.

What can I do? I have to provide insurance, but no insurance will provide coverage.

Side note: Dealing with my ex is more than likely out of the question. She makes everything extremely abrasive, if not impossible.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You need either an old-style indemnity plan, or a PPO plan. You can write either in CA, and they will provide benefits in TX. Maybe not the best possible benefits, but sufficient to keep you in compliance with your court order. The only thing is, neither will be cheap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">