• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 years when at-will agreement was signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're coming at it from the wrong end. At-will is the default. You're not an at-will employee because you signed an agreement; you're an at will employee automatically unless both you and the employer sign something that says you're not.

So your age at the time you signed is immaterial.

Well the form that i signed when i was 16 said i was an at-will employee for the first 90 days (probation). So i am guessing that after those 90 days they need to give a reason for letting me go. So my question remains...If i am now an adult do the terms of that agreement still apply?

las365

Let's get to the point. Has your employment been terminated? If so, what happened? Briefly, please.

justalayman

Well the form that i signed when i was 16 said i was an at-will employee for the first 90 days (probation). So i am guessing that after those 90 days they need to give a reason for letting me go. So my question remains...If i am now an adult do the terms of that agreement still apply?

as cbg said though, unless you have something stating you are not an EAW employee, you are an EAW employee.

Are you a union memnber by chance?

I am not a union member but i signed something saying i was an at-will employee for the first 90 days of employment....which leads me to believe that there is something in that agreement that states that i am not at-will after those 90 days.

I have not been terminated, but i believe i might be soon. It's a long story but essentially my employer is forcing me to transfer to another location for no good reason and i cannot go.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then you will have to show that agreement to an attorney in your state. We can't interpret it from here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Additionally, if you "cannnot" transfer and your employment ends because of it, that's not at-will, that's for-cause.

Thanks for your input. But does anyone no one know whether or not the agreement is still valid if i signed it when i was a minor?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for your input. But does anyone no one know whether or not the agreement is still valid if i signed it when i was a minor?
Are you talking about the notice that California is an "at-will" employment state, and that you are considered an "at-will" employee? That's not an "agreement" - that's an acknowledgment. Yes, it's valid.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What they're trying to tell you is that it doesn't matter if your age affects the validity of anything you sign. The document you signed is an acknowledgement that you're an at-will employee. Let's say that, no, because of your age, your signature cannot legally validate any document. That doesn't change the fact that you're an at-will employee. With or without whatever you signed, you're still an at-will employee. If you're sixteen, you're still an at-will employee. If you signed it "Jabba The Hut", you're still an at-will employee. If you signed it left-handed, in pink ink, while standing on your head and whistling "Dixie", you're still an at-will employee.

Beth3

Are you talking about the notice that California is an "at-will" employment state, and that you are considered an "at-will" employee? That's not an "agreement" - that's an acknowledgment. Yes, it's valid.
Nobody but you and your employer knows what you signed. As has been said previously, your age is irrelevant. Chances are you signed something that specifically outlined that you had a 90 day probationary period, were an at will employee, and could be let go for any reason during that period of time. But the same holds true even after the first 90 days unless there is an employment contract in place that specifies you and the employer have committed to employment for a specific period of time - which doesn't seem to be the case otherwise you'd know about it. (What you signed very likely just indicated the employer does not follow their customary progressive disciplary policy for probationary employees. If it appears a new employee isn't working out, they'll just let them go.)

If your employer wants you to transfer and you refuse, as an at will employee they can let you go.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I want to make sure that you understand this.

If you refuse a transfer, no matter what the reason for the refusal, you can be legally fired for the refusal unless you have a legally binding contract that specifically says that you cannot be fired for refusing a transfer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">