• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get fired for refusing to close for another employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nabal453

A coworker closes and did not show up, therefore told me I have to close. We close at 3 and I said I could only work until 1. I left at 1 and that was that. Could they fire me for that? I’m a minor as well btw.

LdiJ

A coworker closes and did not show up, therefore told me I have to close. We close at 3 and I said I could only work until 1. I left at 1 and that was that. Could they fire me for that? I’m a minor as well btw.
You did not say what state you are in therefore its difficult to answer the question.

If an adult refused to stay as late as their boss wanted them to stay they absolutely could be fired. As a minor, if there are any legal limits to the hours that you are permitted to work it might have been improper for them to ask you to stay that late.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are we talking about 3 am or 3 pm?

And in what state is this?

Finally, how old are you? It's not enough that you're a minor - in many states the rules are different depending on the minor's exact age.

HRZ

They can fire you for wearing green socks ...

Super dumb to disobey a direct order .

IF you were directed to do something in violation of state law regarding hours of work for certain young workers..you might have a point as to an unemployment claim but that's not what you asked .
And even if there was an age point , if you failed to address it up front , I'd give you ZERO slack.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">