• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be terminated for a balance billed medical expense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EricaBiinx

I was recently told my insurance will not fully cover a procedure I received because (even though I was told I was in-network by the nurses twice) it was done with an out of network doctors office and my insurance is only going to pay half and I’m liable for the remaining amount. Can my job be notified and my position terminated over this issue?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer will not be notified. Don't waste even a moment thinking about it. Even if your employer provides the insurance, there are laws that protect your medical privacy. It absolutely will not happen.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your employer will not be notified. Don't waste even a moment thinking about it. Even if your employer provides the insurance, there are laws that protect your medical privacy. It absolutely will not happen.
...In the US. I wonder if the OP is in the US. ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In this specific instance, Zig, all we need to know to give an accurate answer to her question is that she is in the US - the applicable law is Federal.

Of course, if you want her to identify the state because the rules say she has to, I'm not going to argue the point.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In this specific instance, Zig, all we need to know to give an accurate answer to her question is that she is in the US - the applicable law is Federal.

Of course, if you want her to identify the state because the rules say she has to, I'm not going to argue the point.
Nope - you're right.

xylene

I am wondering, does the law protect her from the employer know of the debt or firing her for this reason?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law prohibits the employer from being told of the debt. Her medical bills are none of their business. And even if the employer is self-insured, they'll only be told aggregate amounts and not specific amounts per employee.

I work in my employer's benefits office. I promise you, it's understood that employees may occasionally use out of network providers occasionally, either deliberately or accidentally.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The law prohibits the employer from being told of the debt. Her medical bills are none of their business. And even if the employer is self-insured, they'll only be told aggregate amounts and not specific amounts per employee.
I agree that federal law, specifically the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) prohibits most medical providers and medical insurers from disclosing this information to a patient’s employer without the patient’s consent. However, should the employer find out some other way (which is not very likely, but not completely impossible either) the employer may fire the employee for not paying the bill as there is no law that prohibits the employer from doing that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Xylene asked if it was A or B and I answered A.

There are, however, laws protecting an employee from being fired for garnishments. Should the bill ever get that far.

HRZ

THe OP did NOT ask any questions ..but let me suggest that she refrain from comments about finances or insurance coverages or medical issues at work or on social media where she is identifiable ...there are no upsides to gossip

( Issues of FMLA or ADA aside )

quincy

THe OP did NOT ask any questions ..but let me suggest that she refrain from comments about finances or insurance coverages or medical issues at work or on social media where she is identifiable ...there are no upsides to gossip

( Issues of FMLA or ADA aside )
Yes she did. Read the title of the thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">