• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality and non solicitation question on new job offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prk1981

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am currently evaluating a job offer and have a question on one of the clause in the confidentiality and non solicitation section of the offer letter.

Background - I am an IT consultant and work in very niche domain wherein my skills are relevant for 3-4 major companies in that domain. The job offer is from one of these companies.

"Non-Solicitation Restrictions.
i. Definition. “Customer” means any person or entity (1) about whom Employee (or Employee’s supervisees)
obtained or had access to Confidential Information during Employee’s employment with Company; or (2)
with whom, during the 24-month period prior to the termination of Employee’s employment with Company,
Employee, directly or indirectly, had contact on behalf of Company and which (A) had a contract or business
relationship with Company, (B) negotiated to contract with or enter into a business relationship with Company,
or (C) was, directly or indirectly, solicited by Employee to do business with Company.

ii. Employee agrees that, for a period of one (1) year after termination of Employee’s employment with Company
(whether voluntary or involuntary), Employee will not, directly or indirectly:
1. Solicit any Customer, or provide or sell to any Customer any service or product that competes with,
or is the same as or substantially similar to, any service or product offered or provided by Company
during Employee’s employment with Company."

Question - Does the clause above imply that I cannot work for any other company which is in similar business for one year? As i mentioned earlier that in my case there are primarily 3-4 companies wherein I can potentially work and all of them are in similar business. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

quincy

OK he did.
OK. Good. :)

prk1981, no one on this forum can analyze a contract or the terms or provisions of a contract. That is considered the practice of law and requires the services of an attorney licensed to practice law in your own jurisdiction.

The contract should be personally reviewed in its entirety.

If you do not fully understand what you are signing, I recommend you don't sign until you have this full understanding.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IN GENERAL, however, a non-solicitation clause does not mean you can't go work for anyone else; it means that if you go work for someone else, you can't call your former co-workers and offer them jobs with your new employer, and that you will not call the customers you used to work for at ABC and tell them, "Hey, I'm working for XYZ now - leave ABC and start giving your business to XYZ!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">