• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer-requested notice before quitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamielynp

i worked as the assistant to the president of a private corporation in georgia. in january, after a week or so of written negotiations regarding requested changes due to my job dissatisfaction, i submitted a letter of resignation to the pres, who then stated emphatically that she didn't want me to leave, that she no longer wanted to negotiate in written form, and that we could work things out. i agreed to try and stayed an additional 2 months. nothing changed. none of our agreed-upon changes came to pass, so in march i reiterated my resignation, expecting to work out a 3-week notice. the pres had requested a 4-week notice in one of her written letters of january; however, i had agreed to only 3 weeks. upon my resignation, the angry pres said i need not work out a notice. i was an at-will employee and had no specific employment contract. can the president's letter of january be considered an implied contract? am i entitled to receive 3 or 4 weeks pay? i've filed a claim and expect to go before the magistrate court in a few weeks. i have been unable to find any civil law regarding this issue. pls help!

L

loku

4-week notice

There is no requirement that an employee receive notice of termination or severance pay. However, if a valid contract provides for severance or notice of termination, then the contract will be enforced.

From what you say, I doubt you have a contract. Your employer requested a 4-week notice in her letter. That is probably a valid offer for an agreement, and if you had agreed to her terms, then you would have accepted the offer, and there would have been a contract for 4-weeks notice. However, you did not accept her offer, instead you made a counter offer for 4-weeks. If she did not accept your counter offer, there is no contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">