• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wmskrainski

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut.
I think I have a claim against an employer, though i'm having a hard time finding an Attorny to take the case. Maybe someone here can tell me why.
I was hired by a Metro area Railroad as an Ironworker. After being employed for a few weeks I was offered a job as a driver of a commercial sized welding truck. The requirements for the job were a CDL and a valid Medical examiners certificate.
The company doctor provided the certificate. I went to Manhattan for the appointment. I filled out the pertinent paperwork. I believe there were 7 forms. Some of which were filled out by me and the rest by the doctor.
I filled out my part, and never saw or spoke to the doctor, and was released.
This was on or about 2007 October 31.
On or around 4 February 2008 I was finally given my copy of the medical examiners certificate. This certificate is the copy called the "short form" It's good for 2 years from the date of physical!
The date on the card was 31 Oct 2007.
My contention was that while I went to the doctor on 31 Oct 2007, I was not given a physical, in order for me to sign this document, they would have to give me a full DOT physical.
Their position was that they had given me a full physical back in the begining of August 2007. That , that was applicable to the medical card.
My belief is the if that were to be the case, the card should have been dated to August 2007, and that the physical would be valid for 2 years from that date.
I wouldn't sign the card, as I would not sign my license at MVD if it were incorrect.
They took me out of service and brought charges against me. My hearing was 4 February 2008. I was notified by mail that I was being terminated immediately on or around 14 March 2008.
The Union, which was representing me put in a notice of appeal ( of which I still have not recieved a copy)
On or around 4 Oct 2008 I recieved a letter from the union that my appeal was denied and that they were not going to persue the issue further.
I'd like to add the I spoke with a gentleman in the Connecicut field office of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administation, who told me that I was correct in my belief that the card was a misrepresentation of the dates involved.
I'm not looking for a freebee, and I know that it not ethical to solicit business on a fourm. I don't even know who specializes in this type of thing.
Am I wrong. I realize that I was nitpicking this thing, however our Attorney general tends to prosicute this type of thing if something were to go wrong ( IE if I had the misfortune of having an accident). I was trying to be proactive and get it right, and it got me fired.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">