• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after Manager asked me to Lie on my Paysheet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmanny

TX; I am an independent contractor and I was asked by my manager to omit all hours over 40 on my paysheet to my contracting company.

I was told that the budget did not allow for me to work for hours over 40. Those hours could be used for time off sometime in the future.

This was not explained to me when I was hired. I did as I was told but approached the manager with my concerns about doing this in the future.

Several hours later my contracting company received notification from the HR department at my company that my services would no longer be required.

The email stated that I was being terminated due to a conflict with a direct employee. I was not aware of any conflict and all feedback I had received about my performance was positive.

When the contracting company asked for further information the manager stated that I was overqualified for the position and that they preferred that I was placed in a more senior position.

Do I have any recourse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please expand on your actual job duties, because you seem to be switching back and forth between IC and employee.

Beth3

Zigner, he's employed by a staffing company so his status is not in question.

kmanny, are you paid on an hourly basis by the contracting company? If so, have you been paid for all the hours you worked? If your employer (the contracting company you work for) decides not to bill the client for your OT, that's their perrogative. But if you're being paid on an hourly basis, YOU must be paid for all your hours, including overtime.

No, you don't have any recourse for the client deciding to no longer use your services.

kmanny

kmanny, are you paid on an hourly basis by the contracting company? If so, have you been paid for all the hours you worked? If your employer (the contracting company you work for) decides not to bill the client for your OT, that's their perrogative. But if you're being paid on an hourly basis, YOU must be paid for all your hours, including overtime.

No, you don't have any recourse for the client deciding to no longer use your services.
Yes I was paid hourly and the client company manager would not sign my paysheet with all hours on it. I was asked to work overtime hours and use it for future time off during holidays or personal time. The contracting company gets paid a certain amount for each hour I work so if I don't report all of my hours then they lose that money as well.

kmanny

Yes I was paid hourly and the client company manager would not sign my paysheet with all hours on it. I was asked to work overtime hours and use it for future time off during holidays or personal time. The contracting company gets paid a certain amount for each hour I work so if I don't report all of my hours then they lose that money as well.

kmanny

Please expand on your actual job duties, because you seem to be switching back and forth between IC and employee.
I am in a technical field. The contracting company hires me out as a technical resource to a company who needs employees over the course of a release or a project. The client company who I had a 6 month contract with terminated me after I expressed reservations over working overtime and not reporting that time to the contracting company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">