• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rod Wright

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have been harassed humiliated and disrespected and demoted in the job that I originally had for a year and two months. I have since been off for disability based on and exacerbation of my arthritis. I find out I have no rights at all. Unemployment lawyers want to charge $200 for a consultation. In the state it says that You may also remain eligible if you quit because your job was harmful to your mental or physical health, but only if you get a note from a medical professional to that effect and you tried unsuccessfully to secure alternative work with your employer. I have done all this I can't take the harassment at work anymore and I need to quit but I need the unemployment benefits. I have interviewed with 15 companies since December I have received no offers. I think my current company is blackballing me and saying false things about me to get me to quit so they think they will not pay unemployment. I can't take this treatment anymore. Even if they brought me outside and tied me to a tree and hit me with a cat o nine tails I don't think I would have any rights at least that's what I have been led to believe at this point. All I need to know is if I can quit this job and get unemployment benefits while I look for something else.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have been harassed humiliated and disrespected and demoted in the job that I originally had for a year and two months. I have since been off for disability based on and exacerbation of my arthritis. I find out I have no rights at all. Unemployment lawyers want to charge $200 for a consultation. In the state it says that You may also remain eligible if you quit because your job was harmful to your mental or physical health, but only if you get a note from a medical professional to that effect and you tried unsuccessfully to secure alternative work with your employer. I have done all this I can't take the harassment at work anymore and I need to quit but I need the unemployment benefits. I have interviewed with 15 companies since December I have received no offers. I think my current company is blackballing me and saying false things about me to get me to quit so they think they will not pay unemployment. I can't take this treatment anymore. Even if they brought me outside and tied me to a tree and hit me with a cat o nine tails I don't think I would have any rights at least that's what I have been led to believe at this point. All I need to know is if I can quit this job and get unemployment benefits while I look for something else.
What sort of harassment?

Did you speak to your supervisor/HR about it?

Rod Wright

The harassment was removing me from my supervisor position and mocking my active listening skills as well as making comments about that I was too old to be in the position. And then to top it off he moved me to an operator position and brought a young girl in to fill my spot. I did talk with HR and they said there was nothing they could do because it was not considered a disciplinary action. I even went so far as to talk with the vice president of Human Resources and he said there was nothing he was going to do about it. I have filed a complaint with the EEOC and my OSHA and I am in the process of filing a complaint with wage and hour division of workers compensation because I haven't been paid what I was told that I would be paid when I hired in. Of course what they hired me in for is all in writing, but according to everything I've tried to do nothing is helping and apparently this supervisor thinks he's God and no one can touch him. The only thing I can think to do is get out of there before I endure more harassment and humiliation and disrespect. I've even taken the company off of my resume but that leaves almost a two-year Gap. I've been working on my master's degree in Business Administration and I guess I could just say for that time. I was working on my master's degree. All I want is to get out of that place and I can guarantee you that for the rest of my life if anyone ask my advice whether or not that they should apply at this company I will definitely tell them no. I just want to get out of the company but I need to get the unemployment benefits while I'm looking for a job to try to repair the damage that that company is doing to my reputation since it has been on my resume for the last year-and-a-half.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is always a gamble when you quit and want unemployment. The odds are very much in favor that if you quit, unemployment will be denied.

Chyvan

demoted in the job that I originally had for a year and two months.
This is when you started to have the makings of a good cause to quit.

I have since been off for disability based on and exacerbation of my arthritis.
This is when you started raising able and available issues.

if you quit because your job was harmful to your mental or physical health,
States love telling claimants this, but it's one of the worst ways to try to get UI. The burden of proof is way too high for most people to do correctly.

I haven't been paid what I was told that I would be paid when I hired in.
This was probably more to the good cause because it was probably tied in with the demotion.

that leaves almost a two-year Gap.

it has been on my resume for the last year-and-a-half.
I'm not sure if this means that you worked the new, lower pay and demotion for 8 months or 3 months. However, right about here was when you lost your good cause. Working that long in the new, crappier job is treated as acceptance, or you'd have quit.

I've been working on my master's degree in Business Administration
This doesn't help either. School and UI don't always mix.

Next time your employer CHANGES your job, that's the time to lay the foundation and get out, and then getting the UI is so much easier.

ShyCat

I have interviewed with 15 companies since December I have received no offers. I think my current company is blackballing me and saying false things about me to get me to quit so they think they will not pay unemployment.
If your employer wanted you to quit, why the heck would they do anything to sabotage your job search? That would be counterproductive. The sooner you got a new job, the sooner you'd be gone. I realize "blackballing" plays into your victim story, but such thinking is not helping you.

Seriously, interviews with 15 different companies with only one common element. You.

You might benefit from some counseling in effective interviewing and work relationships.

HRZ

ITs not unlawful to treat workers poorly ...and that's as you see it . and it's not illegal for a boss to dislike you and downgrade you. Or want a better choice in the job as boss sees it

ABout the only remote red flag I see n your post is IF you were demoted due to age /old and were replaced by younger person...but that is super weak point as posted ..and is applicable only if you are 40+' I think age is a non issue here .

IF you interviewed 15 places for comperable work with no offers then YOU are doing something wrong ...perhaps things wrong.

Rod Wright

If your employer wanted you to quit, why the heck would they do anything to sabotage your job search? That would be counterproductive. The sooner you got a new job, the sooner you'd be gone. I realize "blackballing" plays into your victim story, but such thinking is not helping you.

Seriously, interviews with 15 different companies with only one common element. You.

You might benefit from some counseling in effective interviewing and work relationships.
The reason I say this is because I hired as a reference Checker to check my references from the company and they found out that HR was saying things that was not true about me. Ever heard of Allison and Taylor? While they do that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Rod Wright

ITs not unlawful to treat workers poorly ...and that's as you see it . and it's not illegal for a boss to dislike you and downgrade you. Or want a better choice in the job as boss sees it

ABout the only remote red flag I see n your post is IF you were demoted due to age /old and were replaced by younger person...but that is super weak point as posted ..and is applicable only if you are 40+' I think age is a non issue here .

IF you interviewed 15 places for comperable work with no offers then YOU are doing something wrong ...perhaps things wrong.
The EEOC does not seem to think so. And Yes I am quite a bit over 40. I have a full time interview councilor that I work with so my interview skills are a "non-issue" here.

Rod Wright

So again, is it's possible to quit a job based on I don't know hostile work environment possibly or something to that effect and still pull down unemployment benefits?

PayrollHRGuy

If you prove you took reasonable steps to preserve your employment, yes you could quit and get UI.

If you simply woke up one morning and thought, "My boss is not a nice guy." and quit you aren't going to get UI.

You haven't answered my previous question.

And what are they saying that you feel isn't true?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, IN SOME CASES it is possible to quit and still get unemployment. However, it is NEVER a sure thing and if you're expecting someone here to be able to say, Yes, if you quit you will definitely get unemployment, that's just not going to happen. It is NOT definite and the odds do not favor it. While you MIGHT get unemployment if you quit, it is more likely that you won't.

commentator

Okay, I think you need to change the way you are looking at this whole set up. What you'd like to to is quit your job, file that unemployment claim, and have it kick in immediately and start paying you the max per week until you find another good job. You hate what you are doing right now, and would like to quit, but can't afford to. Unfortunately, you're stuck because you've stayed too long and collected too many grievances.

In other words, you feel you've been humiliated and demeaned and talked bad about and demoted....yet you've continued to show up for work and kept doing it and doing it and taking it and taking it. Way back when they demoted you, that might've been a reason to quit and be able to draw unemployment benefits, but you didn't, you accepted the new position and demotion and kept coming back, thus accepting that this was what your job was to be from now on.

In order to quit your job and receive unemployment benefits, you have to show that you have a valid, work related (in most cases) reason to quit the job, that you have exhausted all reasonable alternatives to overcome the problem or reason or "way they are treating you" and that having done all that, and the problem is not resolved, you had NO other reasonable alternative than to quit. You've done far too much shilly-shallying around with a job you hated, that you felt you were being mistreated at, and put up with far too many little this, and then this and then they did this and this and this.....It's not a good possibility at all that you would be able to show good cause to quit your job at this point.

If you quit, the BURDEN OF PROOF that you had this good cause, and that you'd exhausted all reasonable alternatives is upon you. If you are fired from a job, the employer has the BURDEN OF PROOF that they can document that they had a valid work related misconduct reason to fire you. They have to show that they gave you full knowledge of what they were asking of you, that you were given every chance to do what they wanted, that it was explained to you that you were in danger of being fired, and that knowing what you had to do to keep the job, you knowingly did it anyway.

And this proving thing can go either way. When a person has been with a company for a long time, quite unhappily, what happens is a long series of events that make you not happy with them (wanting to quit) or that makes them unhappy with you (wanting to fire you) and when you go into either a quit or fired situation and start discussing it for unemployment approval, there get to be too many issues very quickly. It's called the "kitchen sink" issue.

The employer did this, and this and this, and then last year, he did changed my job title and demoted me, and now he's done this and this, and last month they wouldn't let me park in the employee parking lot any more and then this month he's told me I have to take out the trash and he told someone I was old and useless**************. on and on and on. No real clear cut reason you can point to and say, THERE, that's why I quit this job.

Or the employer will say, well, he has had an absentee problem for ages, and then he was insubordinate a couple of times, and last Christmas he took off too much time off, and he's always complaining about things and now he's refusing to turn in his mileage on time......lots of odds and ends, no real clear cut misconduct reason for the unemployment system to say they had a clear cut misconduct reason to fire this person. It works both ways.

Nobody wants to be off work without unemployment. No employer wants to have to pay unemployment benefits, as it costs the company money. If you quit, it is really really tough to hit that valid reason to quit the job standard. So my advice to you is, after all this, DO NOT quit unless you have another job to go to. It's very true, a doctor's statement that the job is harmful to your health is going to be unlikely to get you unemployment insurance if you quit. It just doesn't work that way.

If the employer asks you to do something to believe to be unreasonable, like go clean the toilets, or accept a 50% pay cut, or if they try to drag you outside, tie you to a bush and beat you with switches, make your stand right there. Say, "This is unreasonable. I am leaving." And leave, right then. Don't come in a year later and say, "My employer dragged me outside last April.....etc." THEN file for unemployment.

If you are filing, forget about hiring an "unemployment attorney." There are labor attorneys, but very few of them specialize in unemployment claims. There is just not that much leeway, not that much different an attorney can do for you that won't be done by the agency. And it's just not that much money at stake. You can only draw a limited amount of benefits (usually less than any regular job) for a short period of time, whether or not you have found another job. It will take six to eight weeks after you leave the job to get any unemployment claim started and rolling if it is disputed by the employer, even if it is eventually approved. And yes, your going to school may turn out to be a disqualifying issue in regard to unemployment insurance. Unemployment insurance is not going to provide you with previews about what you might qualify for or whether or not you'd be approved before you have quit your job or been fired from your job or are out of work for some reason.

Personally, I would get heebee jeebies big time from a person I was interviewing if I got wind they were trying to pretend their current employer did not exist and I somehow found out that wasn't true. I don't care if you have a job counselor, there's not an absolute guarantee that your current employer is the only reason you are not getting hired somewhere. And as we have sawed out many times here, even if they are giving you bad references, which, if they want to get rid of you, they should be moving heaven and earth to help you find something else, because then they're SURE they'll not have to pay for your being approved for unemployment benefits, there is always potential for you to get something else. Even if you had to talk something out of your field or not as good as you had, you could, at that point, continue to apply for better jobs especially after you have completed your education.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">