• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have all my ID documents except Photo ID, can I be hired, I have to be-catch 22!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aquagirl333

I'm in Indiana, I just moved back here after having lived in another state and that's who my drivers license is through-another state. My license went missing almost immediately so here's the issue. They want utility bills proving residence and to MAIL it to me and 60 in total in fees. I can't get a place in my name nor utilities nor medical coverage, nor can I start the job I had lined up-because I don't have ID. I can't even get a hotel room. So I need a job here to get the money to get my license and in order to get it replaced. I HAVE a license on file electronically as well as a B&W copy of my license, I have heard you can get a job under these circumstances and have 30 days to get a physical copy, is this true?

PayrollHRGuy

While the laws associated with the I9 allow 3 days many if not most employers do it on hire and will require the ID before the employee is even allowed to work.

justalayman

While the laws associated with the I9 allow 3 days many if not most employers do it on hire and will require the ID before the employee is even allowed to work.
I’ve also had employers that went well beyond the 3 day limit. I guess I was worth the risk.

Dang, I just remembered: I did a short term assignment recently (2 weeks) and I was never asked let alone required to fill out an I 9.

Hey cbg, is there some special exception to filling out the form for short term employment? I didn’t think there was.

FlyingRon

There are a few exemptions to the I-9. Just because the job is short won't cut it unless you are a domestic employee. Those who are legitimately independent contractors don't need it either. The only other "temporary" aspect is for those working on an I-129.

justalayman

There are a few exemptions to the I-9. Just because the job is short won't cut it unless you are a domestic employee. Those who are legitimately independent contractors don't need it either. The only other "temporary" aspect is for those working on an I-129.
Well, then it would appear there is not justification for not requiring it. I was working my typical occupation (not domestic service) and not as an IC.

I have seen similar actions elsewhere. Generally i suspect it is due to ignorance of the law and the fact they’ve never been audited.

PayrollHRGuy

I've talked to small business clients that are in the process of coming on to our service and those thinking about it and asked to see their I9s and they have responded with I-what? Then I ask to see the paperwork they have new employees complete and there is nothing there but a state and federal W4.

LdiJ

I'm in Indiana, I just moved back here after having lived in another state and that's who my drivers license is through-another state. My license went missing almost immediately so here's the issue. They want utility bills proving residence and to MAIL it to me and 60 in total in fees. I can't get a place in my name nor utilities nor medical coverage, nor can I start the job I had lined up-because I don't have ID. I can't even get a hotel room. So I need a job here to get the money to get my license and in order to get it replaced. I HAVE a license on file electronically as well as a B&W copy of my license, I have heard you can get a job under these circumstances and have 30 days to get a physical copy, is this true?
Can you get your driver's license from the other state replaced just so that you have some ID until you can get it from Indiana?

Indiana only mails driver's licenses so there is no way out of that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hey cbg, is there some special exception to filling out the form for short term employment? I didn’t think there was.
There is, but your short term employer violated it. The exception is only if the work assignment is for 3 days or less.

aquagirl333

well, it's 2k miles away and they mail it too

Can you get your driver's license from the other state replaced just so that you have some ID until you can get it from Indiana?

Indiana only mails driver's licenses so there is no way out of that.
I don't know that I can get it unless I go back and not being able to work, that's going to be a little out of my price range. I also just don't like the area and there is a reason I moved, if you know what I mean. I guess I can check to see if I can have it mailed here but I kind of doubt it, I mean what kind of verification can I provide from here that it's me?

So if I become an independent contractor I can work without id?? Not sure how to do that..

eerelations

So if I become an independent contractor I can work without id?? Not sure how to do that..
The DOL and the IRS determine whether or not certain types of jobs can be done on an IC basis. Individuals (like you) and employers have no say in the matter. To find out about the type of work that might qualify as IC work, visit the DOL and IRS websites.

To work as an IC you will probably still have to prove that you're legally entitled to work in the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">