• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Position Eliminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AllanSSC

What is the name of your state? SC

I know that South Carolina is an "At Will" state. However, I was given employment at a hospital in Columbia, SC back in January of this year. I turned down several other good job offers to take this job. I was notified by email today at 11:00 AM of a meeting at 12:00 noon. I was informed at this meeting that my position was being eliminated as of today. It is apparent that this hospital was aware that they had financial problems before they hired me. I moved here from another state, bought a house here and even transferred a retirement fund from a previous employer into the 401(k) fund here. I am being given a 4 week severance package but that is inconsequential to the time, money, and energy I have expended to get here. What are my options considering that this hospital used false pretenses to lure me here. I would have taken another job at the even slightest hint that the hospital was in trouble.

mlane58

AllanSSC said:
What is the name of your state? SC

I know that South Carolina is an "At Will" state. However, I was given employment at a hospital in Columbia, SC back in January of this year. I turned down several other good job offers to take this job. I was notified by email today at 11:00 AM of a meeting at 12:00 noon. I was informed at this meeting that my position was being eliminated as of today. It is apparent that this hospital was aware that they had financial problems before they hired me. I moved here from another state, bought a house here and even transferred a retirement fund from a previous employer into the 401(k) fund here. I am being given a 4 week severance package but that is inconsequential to the time, money, and energy I have expended to get here. What are my options considering that this hospital used false pretenses to lure me here. I would have taken another job at the even slightest hint that the hospital was in trouble.
How do you know the hospital used a false pretence to hire you? Why would they do that? -just to piss you off? I don't think so. I worked for a company for 5 months when they decided to sell the company and a massive restructure took place and my position was eliminated. It happens more than you know and your only recourse is look for other employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you claiming they knew BACK IN JANUARY that they would be eliminating your position in August?

You'll never get that one past a legal determination. It only took four days for my company to realize they had to lay people off when our biggest investor pulled out in the wake of Enron.

You'll need a heck of a lot more proof than you've shown here of any "false pretenses".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">