• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

New Hire

My employer has required me to sign a document stating that if I should terminate employment for any reason within the first 18 months of my employment, that I must reimburse the employer for relocation expenses they paid, on a pro-rated scale. Several recruiters (not attorneys) have told me that such agreements are not enforcable in court. I'd like to hear an opinion from a practicing attorney, especially one familiar with North Carolina law. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

E

Ex HR Guy (Not From NC)

I can't tell you what the law is in your state, but I can say most employers won't enforce it if there is a good reason why you left early, but come after you only if they feel it is a scam or you went with a competitor. My company had a 2/3rds rule, so if you left after 12 months we'd forget about it, but if you left after 6 we'd bill you for 2/3rds, and withhold references and other things until you paid up.

A

Attorney_Replogle

You really need to find a NC attorney practicing labor law to get the answer. Look at this web site's listings. Your answer is really state specific. Hope this helps.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">