• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance package

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joesmith_2018

Hello everybody,
I have searched on the forum and on other websites for the answer to a question I have regarding a severance package I signed May of last year. My end date is coming up and my employer has chosen to extend my end date to the end of this year (2018).
I do not wish to work for my employer any longer after the initial end date which I was really anticipating. The contract states that "on or about May 1st" my employment will end.

My question is, do I have the option to choose not to continue working for my employer and receive the severance package or will I have to stay with the company in order to receive the benefits?

Thank you in advance and please ask me any questions!

Regards,
Joe

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is entirely between you and your employer. The law does not take a position on the matter.

BTW, are you absolutely certain that what you have is a legally binding contract and not an employment agreement outlining guidelines?

Joesmith_2018

Thank you!

What I have is a "Separation and Release Agreement."

My employer did not mention it being a Legal Binding document. How would I be able to tell if it is?

Best regards,
Joe

Joesmith_2018

That is entirely between you and your employer. The law does not take a position on the matter.

BTW, are you absolutely certain that what you have is a legally binding contract and not an employment agreement outlining guidelines?

Also, I did not sign it in front of a notary. Just signed, scanned and mailed to HR.

Best regards,
Joe

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I doubt if you have a contract.

I doubt that your employer will be willing to pay you severance if you leave before your employer wants you to. The purpose of severance is to make you whole if your job comes to an end. It is not to provide you with a windfall if you leave when there is still work available to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">