• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still have assets from previous employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

postguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

The company I worked for laid everyone off last year, and then went out of business. At the time, I worked 70% of the time from my home using the equipment supplied by the company, necessary to do the job. When we were all let go, they asked me to hang onto equipment since they were going out of business and wouldn't have a place to store it. That was over 1 year ago, and the equipment is still taking up space in my home. My question is, am I legally allowed to sell the equipment and get it out of my house? Thanks for any help!

Bill

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

The company I worked for laid everyone off last year, and then went out of business. At the time, I worked 70% of the time from my home using the equipment supplied by the company, necessary to do the job. When we were all let go, they asked me to hang onto equipment since they were going out of business and wouldn't have a place to store it. That was over 1 year ago, and the equipment is still taking up space in my home. My question is, am I legally allowed to sell the equipment and get it out of my house? Thanks for any help!

Bill
Contact the business (or the owners) and ask them what to do with it. You can't sell property that you don't own. You need to give them a date by which to retrieve it -- so contact them in writing and state they have until 60 days from the date of the letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">