• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a case????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
AT BEST you would have a "case" to be paid for the time you worked. That's it.

justalayman

He also has a case to file for unemployment benefits.
While everybody seems to jump to that, there are times one may wait to file. I’m currently in a situation where waiting to file could be beneficial to me so I wait.

I doubt op or actually most people would benefit as I would but there are some so filing immediately is not always the best action.

quincy

Yes. CREESE1 could file for unemployment. I agree with justalayman that this is not always the best first action to take. Facts matter.

I am puzzled by the mailed notice of termination. I would think someone would tell CREESE1 he was fired.

commentator

If you showed up and worked, and were allowed to do so, then you MUST be paid for the hours you worked, regardless of whether the company had already said they had fired you or not or wrote a letter saying your last day was one thing when it was actually another. I have heard this one emphasized by DOL Wage and Hour officials enough. If you don't want this person paid, do not allow them to work. If you condone their presence at your place of business by allowing them to be there and to work, you will end up having to pay them.

What I am reading from this is that the person messed up something at their work when they "in-passed the secret shopper" which led to a termination letter which says they were discharged "for violation of a company policy.' They received this letter and it says they were terminated on the 21st, when they had actually already worked on the 22nd and the 23rd. They have not been paid for the work done on the last two days. They disagree with both the letter of termination's date of last work and their reason for termination.

It doesn't really matter about the reason they've put down on the termination letter. Go on and file for unemployment insurance and tell them what YOU believe to be the reason you were terminated. Tell them the date you last worked according to YOU. They'll sort through what actually happened.

Call the federal Wage and Hour division (1-866-487-9243) if you are not paid for those last two days you worked. These two things, unemployment and the wage and hour department are the only recourse you have as far as any kind of case.

Last edited:

quincy

If you showed up and worked, and were allowed to do so, then you MUST be paid for the hours you worked, regardless of whether the company had already said they had fired you or not or wrote a letter saying your last day was one thing when it was actually another. I have heard this one emphasized by DOL Wage and Hour officials enough. If you don't want this person paid, do not allow them to work. If you condone their presence at your place of business by allowing them to be there and to work, you will end up having to pay them.

What I am reading from this is that the person messed up something at their work when they "in-passed the secret shopper" which lead to a termination letter which says they were discharged "for violation of a company policy.' They received this letter and it says they were terminated on the 21st, when they had actually already worked on the 22nd and the 23rd. They have not been paid for the work done on the last two days. They disagree with both the letter of termination's date of last work and their reason for termination.

It doesn't really matter about the reason they've put down on the termination letter. Go on and file for unemployment insurance and tell them what YOU believe to be the reason you were terminated. Tell them the date you last worked according to YOU.

Call the Wage and Hour division if you are not paid for those last two days you worked.
CREESE said he worked on the 23rd and 24th. We don't know what he did on the 22nd (other than not receive the termination notice).

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No one told you that you were fired? You just showed up for work as usual and worked your regular hours for two days?

What does the secret shopper have to do with anything? Are you supposed to be paid extra for passing a secret shopper (undercover) test (for, say, checking ID on sales of cigarettes or alcohol)?

More information would be helpful.
The secret shopper detected that OP was not following company policy and reported it.

Based on what the secret shopper reported, OP was fired.

paddywakk

incorrect information on separation notice
i was working with c. k. and in passed the secret shopper and then was fired for company policy violation and still hadn't received the payment and the information on the separation notice is incorrect the termination date it says i was fired on 12-21-17 and i worked 2 more days after? And I'm not even sure why I was terminated it only said company policy violation
Sounds like the secret shopper gave you a bad review. One of my friends was a secret shopper for awhile and some of their checksheets (or whatever you want to call them) were over 10 pages long.

Finn333

Maybe I can help you

Okay, what does passing the secret shopper mean? Were you given notice of your termination on 12-21-17 or two days after? What state do you live in? What were the circumstances of your termination? I need details to help.

quincy

Okay, what does passing the secret shopper mean? Were you given notice of your termination on 12-21-17 or two days after? What state do you live in? What were the circumstances of your termination? I need details to help.
Did you actually read the thread before responding? Reading what is written is the first step to helping. ;)

CREESE1 lives in Georgia. He was terminated for violating a store policy. The notice of termination was dated on the 21st but he worked on the 23rd and 24th. Other details you can pick up from reviewing what has come before your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">