• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefit repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovechild627

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My husband is a truck driver and he pulled up on a curb and bent the bumper, you know how sometimes you pull your car too far ahead and the bumper scrapes? well, it was just the bumper, and so he finished the day out (cause they had been giving people days off for lack of work and had just had a meeting about how every client counted and every stop had to be made on time) and when he got in he wrote the truck up for maintainence. Well they said he should have stopped, called it in as an accident, taken pictures and filed an accident report - he didn't so that was misconduct - and they fired him! For a bumper! The employer even said in the hearing that the incident itself wasn't a fire-able offence, just that the paperwork was not filled out correctly! Also, that they stated that his work record was good and he was only let go under the "misconduct" of failure to follow policy regarding accidents. Well, he didn't think of it as an accident. How many times have we al pulled our bumper onto the curb and heard it scrape. I never even get out and look at it, I just back up off the curb and go do whatever I was doing. Well, that is what he did, and got fired for it. Well, our local office gave him unemployment- for 5 months! Now the company has appealed and the "referee" found in their favor, and they cut off his benefits and want us to pay back almost nine grand! no fraud, no reason, just that the earlier decision was "set aside" and now we are broke and owe almost nine thousand dollars back.

We have filed an appeal with the board of review, but were told that getting a referee decision overturned was next to impossible, and their decision is final.

Anyone else experience this, is there any way to not have to pay it back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">