• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully terminated after filing HR complaint for race & favoritism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Colorado719

Colorado
Is there anything actionable within my case?
March 27th filed a racial/discrimination favoritism HR complaint at the dealership I work at against management, they ignored me and fired me after I repeatedly asked for help.

FlyingRon

There isn't enough detail to tell you. Favoritism is not illegal. Racial preferences and firing over making civil rignts complaints possibly are.
You might be able to get some help at the EEOC. Here is the link for the Denver office. Info on filing complaints are on a link there: https://www.eeoc.gov/field/denver/

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Colorado
March 27th filed a racial/discrimination favoritism HR complaint at the dealership I work at against management, they ignored me and fired me after I repeatedly asked for help.
What was the reason the employer said it fired you? If the employer fired you because you filed the race discrimination complaint, that is a wrongful termination and you could sue for that after filing a complaint with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Colorado Civil Rights Commission (CRC). You must file the EEOC complaint within 300 days of the termination and the CRC within 6 months of termination. Failure to file the complaints with the federal or state agency on time will bar you from suing under federal or state law respectively.

If the employer fired you for repeatedly asking for help, then it matters what these requests were. Were you having trouble doing the job and constantly asking for help to do the job? Or was it something else?

Chyvan

That’s all well and good, but not responsive at all to the question asked.
If he happens to be one of those people that thinks he can't get UI when fired but only laid off, he'll be glad that I told him.

This "only answer the question asked" is getting out of hand.

So you're telling me that if you had a client say, "I've held this stock for 11-1/2 months. What's going to be my tax rate?" You'll say, "ordinary income tax rates," or are you going to say, "why don't you consider holding on to it for another 2+ weeks."

If you were a divorce attorney, would you feel good about going through with a filing for a stay at home wife married 9-1/2 years, or would you say, "stick it out for another 6 months so you can get access to your spouse's social security?"

If informing someone of all options that might put money in their pocket to take the sting out of losing their job, I'll err on the side of caution.

Luth Sebastian

Colorado
As per Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on sex, color, religion, race and national origin. It is also illegal to take action against an individual who complains about being discriminated against. It is illegal to harass any individual based on sex and this can include physical, verbal and written harassment.You can get legal advice from a legal firm which specializes in the protection of rights of individual employees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">