• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adult adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wayne-o

What is the name of your state? TN

I am trying to help a friend come here legally. He is 26 y/o old mexican male. Are there any avenues easier than others for him to come here legally. He wont marry because he is gay. I had read that it is possible to adopt an adult. If that were to happen could I help him come here legally. I know it sounds far fetched, however, its practically impossible to get a visa.

FLMommy

That avenue won't work. It is impossible for an adult to be adopted by Americans and consequently apply for adjustment of status. Adult adoption cannot get him legal status in the US.

ImmigAttyLana

Does he have any higher education and/or work experience? If he does, he might be eligible for an employment-based visa on the basis of a job offer from a US employer.

wayne-o

no higher education he is a mechanic, but I dont think that would qualify. Ive looked into incorporating a business, but it seems that I would have to try to hire someone here before I could even offer employment. I thought if I designed it to cater to hispanics it might be of help.

ImmigAttyLana

An employment-based petition for someone without even a bachelor's degree is certainly possible but it will take a very long time (5-7 years) before he will be eligible for an immigrant visa on the basis of this petition, even if it is approved, due to the backlogs for this preference category for all countries, including Mexico.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">