• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic partner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyonvic

Hello,

First of all, my name is Victor and I'm from Asuncion, Paraguay; a Country in Southamerica.

I'm gay and my lifepartner just has been approved for a job in Washington D.C. at a international bank; they told him that he can bring his "domestical partner", but the thing is that I don't know if I apply for this "domestical partnership" thing.

We've been living together for over 1 year and a half here in Asuncion, and here's not any kind of same-sex marriage or civil union.

My main question is, Am I qualify for a domestic partner in the US? and, What kind of VISA do I need for a longest stay and with intentions to stay in the US and become a citizen?

I would appreciate so much if you can answer my questions

Thanks!!!

evcalyptos

Hello,

First of all, my name is Victor and I'm from Asuncion, Paraguay; a Country in Southamerica.

I'm gay and my lifepartner just has been approved for a job in Washington D.C. at a international bank; they told him that he can bring his "domestical partner", but the thing is that I don't know if I apply for this "domestical partnership" thing.

We've been living together for over 1 year and a half here in Asuncion, and here's not any kind of same-sex marriage or civil union.

My main question is, Am I qualify for a domestic partner in the US? and, What kind of VISA do I need for a longest stay and with intentions to stay in the US and become a citizen?

I would appreciate so much if you can answer my questions

Thanks!!!
Hi, if you and your partner have been living together for a year (and you are not otherwise ineligible due to criminal or immigration violations etc), you should qualify for a B-2 visa for a long term stay in the US with your partner. You won't be able to work, but maybe that won't be so bad!
The typical admission is for 6 months at a time. People handle this different ways.. perhaps you'll want to travel outside the US during your stay.. in that case you get a 'new' 6 months when you return. Or, I've recently learned that you may get a longer period of admission (up to one year).

So basically, you apply for a regular tourist visa, but with the evidence of your relationship and your partner's visa. There is a lawyer who has just written a couple of very nice posts on the topic (and he specializes in this type of partner visa) at another group: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34 You do not need to be British to join or post there btw.
ah, here it is: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6653490&postcount=15

Bienvendios! Que aventura, eh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">