• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiance's financial history

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kacee76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am an American citizen and my fiance is from the UK. Will his financial history be investigated as part of the review process? Or is it just mine that's reviewed?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am an American citizen and my fiance is from the UK. Will his financial history be investigated as part of the review process? Or is it just mine that's reviewed?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No one is reviewing anyone's financial history.

The US citizen (you) will have to provide evidence that your fiance will not become a public charge. In London this is commonly done with form I-134 and there is an entire page on the Embassy website discussing it:
Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law

After arrival & marriage, your husband will need to apply to adjust status to permanent residency. At that time, you will be required to submit form I-864, a stiffer version of the affidavit of support. You have to meet minimum income guidelines, certify that you have filed your last 3 years' tax returns and include at least the last one filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">