• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Italian citizen wants to come live with US citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smelser0123

Hello and thank you for any help given... I am a US citizen and over the past 3 years have developed a strong online relationship with an Italian gal. We have decided we would like to start a life together and she wants to come live with me in the states. But we seem to be stuck The sense that we are not sure what we need to do. At first we were thinking ESTA and if during the 90 days allowed our bond strength I would like to marry her however I have read this may not be a wise decision and could be extremely difficult to change the status from an ESTA once in the states but maybe were mistaken. Anyone have any solid advise what we should be doing or which route we should take whether it be a ESTA or K-1 or??? We seem to be getting a little bit frustrated that finding true love be at long-distance can’t be difficult and we seem to be being held back by the powers that be... Thank you all so much
Chris~

FlyingRon

Alas, the US has no official policy to bring in potential wives on approval. If your friend reports to the agents at the border that she intends to marry you and adjust her status, she's likely to be sent packing on a VWP entry (and barred from using it again). Furhter, if she lies about it and it becomes an issue later, it could get sticky on her adjustment of status.

If the intent is PURELY a temporary visit, then she can enter on a VWP or other non-immigrant visa. If she just happens to fall for you and you marry, you can adjust status as long as she entered legally.

Note that whether you apply via a K-1 or you adjust status once she's here on another visa, you are committing to supporting her whether or not it works out between the two of you. You only get relieved of that responsibility if she leaves the country, gets citizenship, or works legally a sufficient period of time to qualify for social security benefits.

I suspect you'll probably really wish to talk to an immigration attorney.

My advice is to tell her that you'll meet her but on this trip, it is definitely NOT going to be for marriage. She will have to make solid plans to return to Italy. If it works out for you, then you can arrange a subsequent entry for her to marry (or some other status adjustment).

LdiJ

Alas, the US has no official policy to bring in potential wives on approval. If your friend reports to the agents at the border that she intends to marry you and adjust her status, she's likely to be sent packing on a VWP entry (and barred from using it again). Furhter, if she lies about it and it becomes an issue later, it could get sticky on her adjustment of status.

If the intent is PURELY a temporary visit, then she can enter on a VWP or other non-immigrant visa. If she just happens to fall for you and you marry, you can adjust status as long as she entered legally.

Note that whether you apply via a K-1 or you adjust status once she's here on another visa, you are committing to supporting her whether or not it works out between the two of you. You only get relieved of that responsibility if she leaves the country, gets citizenship, or works legally a sufficient period of time to qualify for social security benefits.

I suspect you'll probably really wish to talk to an immigration attorney.

My advice is to tell her that you'll meet her but on this trip, it is definitely NOT going to be for marriage. She will have to make solid plans to return to Italy. If it works out for you, then you can arrange a subsequent entry for her to marry (or some other status adjustment).
I will take it even further than that. You should visit her in Italy several times and she should visit you in the US several times before you even contemplate taking things any further.

metaler1

Go to Italy for vacation - The second you meet her in person qualifies you for K1 and then upon your return to the states apply for K1. Assuming your case is relatively simple and you have the necessary assets then she will be in the USA within 8 months to a year. simple

Note take a lot of photos when you visit Italy with her and label them and note the date and location the photo was taken. Also save all your hotel / flight reservations, tickets to places you and her visited and save all communications between you and her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">