• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mom is 77 and was 4 times denied a B2 Visitor's Visa, what should she do different

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RENDAR

My mom is 77 years old and has applied for a B2 Visitors Visa 4 times and been denied each time. Each application has been done through the Mexico City consulate. The reason cited for the denials are (214b) the ties that bind you to your home country are not strong enough. A little background, she has 5 sons in the United States all who have overstayed their visas by at least 10 years. She has a written invitation from her legal nephew in Texas. She has proof of ownership of 2 large ranch properties in Mexico, one son that lives in Mexico close to her, and proof of plenty of money in her bank account. She stated she will stay 10 days in the US.
My mom is now divorced, and my father was granted his B2 Visitors Visa 2 months ago and they made it for 10 year span. My father's situation is exactly the same as my moms. They split the properties, my father has 2 ranches in his name as well, proof of plenty of money in his bank account as well. He also had a written invitation from the same legal nephew in Texas, and as I said, he was approved this last time (in October). He was approved on his 3rd try. The first try for both parents was when they were still married, then the subsequent times when they were already divorced.
Does my mom have any real chance to actually be granted this visa? Should she keep trying? What would have to change in order for her to obtain this visa? Should her intended amount of time to the USA be stated for longer? Should she make it more specific on what she plans to do while visiting? She is 77 years old and is retired. On the employment section she put herself as her employer and then listed her ranch address as her business address. Should she not have done this? What should she put for employment if she should not put herself as her employer?
I want to thank you in advance for any guidance with this matter. She did consult a lawyer in Mexico about the last 2 attempt, but it doesn't seem to be getting any results.

t74

Given the history of overstay of her children, the officer has little reason to believe that she would return especially given her age.

Let's see, 5 of her children are illegally present in the US and she wants to visit them. I am disgusted that she would even ask.

RENDAR

Given the history of overstay of her children, the officer has little reason to believe that she would return especially given her age.

Let's see, 5 of her children are illegally present in the US and she wants to visit them. I am disgusted that she would even ask.
I completely see what you are saying, I would think the exact same thing, however, the information I added about my father, he has the same exact situation and they approved him. He is 78. This is the only reason she is even trying and the only reason I ask, because I know it it possible, and just was accepted in October of 2017.

LdiJ

She has plenty of assets and is 77 years old. She isn't going to take a job or other benefits from a US citizen. I don't understand why anyone would even care whether or not she comes to the US and stays. She would just put money into the economy rather than taking anything out.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I completely see what you are saying, I would think the exact same thing, however, the information I added about my father, he has the same exact situation and they approved him. He is 78. This is the only reason she is even trying and the only reason I ask, because I know it it possible, and just was accepted in October of 2017.
So Dad got lucky. Or presented himself more plausibly as a rancher with no reason to relocate. Just because Mom owns a ranch doesn't mean that she is hands on in running it. These things are taken on an individual basis. Maybe it's sexism - women who present themselves well sometimes aren't convincing as willing to get their hands dirty. (I say this as a woman - clean me up and put me in a suit, and job interviewers assume I'm some Ms Priss who couldn't handle getting her hand dirty.)

They could suspect that she is coming here to provide childcare for her grandchildren, or do housework. Of course grandmas want to love up their grandbabies - but they can't be doing it as a "job", and if it's suspected that that is the purpose of their desire to travel, their application just might be denied.

Perhaps she needs to present herself as more hands on in her business, as in stressing that she can only be in the US for 10 days because she has to be present/on site at the ranch for whatever pressing activity occurs on the ranch.

She has plenty of assets and is 77 years old. She isn't going to take a job or other benefits from a US citizen. I don't understand why anyone would even care whether or not she comes to the US and stays. She would just put money into the economy rather than taking anything out.
You are wrong, legally. It is very easy for a retiree to overstay a visa - it's not like they have a job to go home to. We have millions of people here who have overstayed their visas, and it's difficult for retirees to get visitors visas for that very reason, unless they have a prior history of visiting legally and not overstaying.

LdiJ

So Dad got lucky. Or presented himself more plausibly as a rancher with no reason to relocate. Just because Mom owns a ranch doesn't mean that she is hands on in running it. These things are taken on an individual basis. Maybe it's sexism - women who present themselves well sometimes aren't convincing as willing to get their hands dirty. (I say this as a woman - clean me up and put me in a suit, and job interviewers assume I'm some Ms Priss who couldn't handle getting her hand dirty.)

They could suspect that she is coming here to provide childcare for her grandchildren, or do housework. Of course grandmas want to love up their grandbabies - but they can't be doing it as a "job", and if it's suspected that that is the purpose of their desire to travel, their application just might be denied.

Perhaps she needs to present herself as more hands on in her business, as in stressing that she can only be in the US for 10 days because she has to be present/on site at the ranch for whatever pressing activity occurs on the ranch.

You are wrong, legally. It is very easy for a retiree to overstay a visa - it's not like they have a job to go home to. We have millions of people here who have overstayed their visas, and it's difficult for retirees to get visitors visas for that very reason, unless they have a prior history of visiting legally and not overstaying.

You did not get my point. As far as I am concerned, I do not care how many retirees come into the US with the intent to stay.

As far as I am concerned, they are all welcome. They do not take anything out of the economy and only put money into the economy. Anyone who has a problem with them staying is just being anti immigration with no actual rationale for it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You did not get my point. As far as I am concerned, I do not care how many retirees come into the US with the intent to stay.

As far as I am concerned, they are all welcome. They do not take anything out of the economy and only put money into the economy. Anyone who has a problem with them staying is just being anti immigration with no actual rationale for it.
Bully for you. This is a legal advice forum, not a support group.

It doesn't matter what you think. What matters is how USCIS acts, based on our current laws. And under those laws, a retiree is going to have a tough time getting a visitors visa if a USCIS worker thinks it's highly likely that they will overstay their visa. If you don't like the laws and policies, than go out and take steps to change them. But your opinion is not useful to OP.

I am not anti-immigration. I married an immigrant. My siblings married immigrants. We have all had in-laws visit the US - legally. Which means applying for a visa. So we have all had conversations with others about visas for older people, and we know people whose elderly relatives have been denied visitor visas.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Bully for you. This is a legal advice forum, not a support group.

It doesn't matter what you think. What matters is how USCIS acts, based on our current laws. And under those laws, a retiree is going to have a tough time getting a visitors visa if a USCIS worker thinks it's highly likely that they will overstay their visa. If you don't like the laws and policies, than go out and take steps to change them. But your opinion is not useful to OP.
THANK you.

I am not anti-immigration. I married an immigrant. My siblings married immigrants. We have all had in-laws visit the US - legally. Which means applying for a visa. So we have all had conversations with others about visas for older people, and we know people whose elderly relatives have been denied visitor visas.
And I'm an immigrant. Been there and done that. T-shirt is a bit raggedy these days but c'est la vie :D

FlyingRon

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

She can keep reapplying as many times as she likes, but given the same circumstances, she's likely to keep getting denied (the immigration guys do have instant access to all the history). She should schedule an appointment with the US embassy/consulate in her country and see if she can prevail upon them how strong her ties to her home are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">