• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sennaha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
FL
My girlfriend is currently married in Puerto Rico. She is from Mexico. She obtained the appropriate visas before she moved to Puerto Rico and lived there for 2 years before getting married. (with fiance)
After one month of marriage her husband left. She was living in his house waiting to get divorced. Having no one but herself, after five months she left to US mainland to be near two of her family members. After three months in US she got pregnant by me. Her visa will expire in 9 months and our baby will be born in 1 month. She has a court date in Puerto Rico shortly after our baby will be born. Her husband is not simply signing a simple divorce, and trying to claim she cleaned him out while she was living at his house that he left. Is there anyway that her marriage can be annulled in the US mainland, without her having to go back to Puerto Rico? (desertion, a certain period of time not being together, etc.) I do not want to jeopardize her being forced to return to Mexico with or without my child.

cyjeff

FL
My girlfriend is currently married in Puerto Rico. She is from Mexico. She obtained the appropriate visas before she moved to Puerto Rico and lived there for 2 years before getting married. (with fiance)
After one month of marriage her husband left. She was living in his house waiting to get divorced. Having no one but herself, after five months she left to US mainland to be near two of her family members. After three months in US she got pregnant by me. Her visa will expire in 9 months and our baby will be born in 1 month. She has a court date in Puerto Rico shortly after our baby will be born. Her husband is not simply signing a simple divorce, and trying to claim she cleaned him out while she was living at his house that he left. Is there anyway that her marriage can be annulled in the US mainland, without her having to go back to Puerto Rico? (desertion, a certain period of time not being together, etc.) I do not want to jeopardize her being forced to return to Mexico with or without my child.
The US has no jurisdiction.

Proserpina

FL
Perhaps more worryingly for you, this child is very probably going to be considered her husband's child - not yours at all.

sennaha

Well, I'm sure they will ask whose name to put on B.C. I need to have my name on it to put child on my medical benefits.

cyjeff

Well, I'm sure they will ask whose name to put on B.C. I need to have my name on it to put child on my medical benefits.
In the US, the husband is the presumed father until proven otherwise.

However, as I have said, we are not expert in PR law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">