• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State government sponsored H1b and Green Card, E-Verification.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Validuser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Question 1: Would an H1b filed by a State government-affiliated agency be considered as a non-profit H1b? and would it be valid in a profit based organization in case if I plan to switch in future?

Question 2: Can you apply for Green card along with H1b at the same time, I am currently on my OPT (1st year)?

Question 3: Does an employer (state-affiliated agency) needs an e-verification, if they were to apply for an H1b visa for their employee? can they do it without e-verification?

P.S.: My employer is willing to sponsor me being a State agency. Please consider the scenario before sharing your valuable and much-required inputs.

Thank you in advance.

FlyingRon

You can't "switch employers" on an H1-B. Your visa is tied to that particular employer. If you wish to seek employment elsewhere, the new employer can start a new H1-B application for you. In certain cases, you can skip something you've already cleared (for instance, if the position you have wasn't cap-exempt, you may not have to worry about that again).

I don't understand question 2. Why do you think you're eligible for a green card while you are on OPT. The two are fundamentally incompatible. You can apply for the H1-B.

The short answer is that state governments are exempt from e-verify on their employees, but I'm not even sure why you are asking. If they're sponsoring you, they will know your immigration status. Just because they're not require to use e-verify doesn't mean they have no responsibility to verify that you are a legal worker. They still have to verify one of the I-9 documents.

Last edited:

t74

A state agency must still follow the recruitment rules before applying for a green card on your behalf. Government jobs are highly sought after; I cannot imagine that they would not have willing and qualified individuals desirous of the position. I also cannot imagine an agency applying while the beneficiary is still on OPT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">