• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer requiring regular proof of Drivers License and Ins. for operating my vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SteveinChicago

Hello,

I and others in my department have recently been told we need to provide proof of a valid drivers license and vehicle insurance, to my employer each month.

For my full time, exempt, position; having a vehicle was not a requirement to be hired, nor am I currently required to have and operate a vehicle in the performance of my job. Driving my own vehicle to work related meetings is rare, occurring once or twice a month. Further, while my employer does have company owned vehicles, my position neither requires or allows me to use those vehicles. Any business related travel is in my own vehicle

We do have hundreds of employees in other divisions of the company in positions where a operating a personal or company vehicle on a daily basis IS a condition of employment. By company policy, these employees are required to have a vehicle, license and insurance and they must submit proof monthly .

It seems like my employer is overreaching in applying this requirement to positions where a vehicle is not a condition of employment and I would rather not provide any information which is not legally required.

I live and work in Illinois. Is it legal for my employer to demand access to this information from me each month? If not, what is my recourse.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

- Thanks

adjusterjack

It seems like my employer is overreaching in applying this requirement to positions where a vehicle is not a condition of employment and I would rather not provide any information which is not legally required.
It's not illegal to ask for it.

It's not illegal to fire you if you refuse.

LdiJ

It's not illegal to ask for it.

It's not illegal to fire you if you refuse.
Yeah but its kind of weird if the company is in Chicago. Lots of people in Chicago (like in NYC) do not drive or own a car. They use public transportation.

PayrollHRGuy

The second sentence said this though...

For my full time, exempt, position; having a vehicle was not a requirement to be hired, nor am I currently required to have and operate a vehicle in the performance of my job.
I had a client that had this same requirement pressed on to them by the insurance carrier. The carrier required that if the employee had a licence that they must check it regularly and the same went for personal auto insurance. But if the EE didn't have a licence and hence insurance they just had to sign a statement stating such.

quincy

The second sentence said this though...

I had a client that had this same requirement pressed on to them by the insurance carrier. The carrier required that if the employee had a licence that they must check it regularly and the same went for personal auto insurance. But if the EE didn't have a licence and hence insurance they just had to sign a statement stating such.
But ... that is NOT what SteveinChicago said.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP said nothing about being required to have a driver's licence and insurance.
Not only did he actually say it, the fact that he drives on company business is enough to show that he must have it. Being required to prove his license and insurance are current is perfectly legal and, in fact, is quite prudent.

SteveinChicago

THanks for all of the feedback.

In my position it is NOT a requirement for me to have a vehicle, license or insurance as a condition of employment. I am only being asked to submit these things because I have a car and they know I use it 1 - 2 times per month for company business.

Zigner

THanks for all of the feedback.

In my position it is NOT a requirement for me to have a vehicle, license or insurance as a condition of employment. I am only being asked to submit these things because I have a car and they know I use it 1 - 2 times per month for company business.
That is exactly why this is a requirement. I REALLY don't understand your reluctance to give them this information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's make this absolutely clear.

Even if you NEVER drove your personal car for company business, it would STILL be legal for them to require that you provide proof of license and insurance.

You posted this in the Discrimination/Harassment forum. Please be advised that this is not discrimination or harassment in any way.

If you choose to refuse to provide the information, it would be 100% legal for your employer to fire you.

I hope that this is now clear to you.

Zigner

Let's make this absolutely clear.

Even if you NEVER drove your personal car for company business, it would STILL be legal for them to require that you provide proof of license and insurance.

You posted this in the Discrimination/Harassment forum. Please be advised that this is not discrimination or harassment in any way.

If you choose to refuse to provide the information, it would be 100% legal for your employer to fire you.

I hope that this is now clear to you.
And, to make one more thing clear...if it is explained to you that you will be terminated for refusing the perfectly legal request and you continue to refuse, then the likelihood of qualifying for unemployment insurance payments is slim to none...and slim's already at the edge of town riding in to the sunset.

LdiJ

And, to make one more thing clear...if it is explained to you that you will be terminated for refusing the perfectly legal request and you continue to refuse, then the likelihood of qualifying for unemployment insurance payments is slim to none...and slim's already at the edge of town riding in to the sunset.
I am not sure that I agree with that one. There are lots of perfectly legal reasons to fire someone that do not rule out someone collecting unemployment compensation. Refusing to give out your driver's license and insurance information is not an egregious thing, and an argument can even be made that to refuse to do so is to help protect yourself from identity theft. An employer already has a lot of someone's personal information. Adding driver's license and insurance info on top of that would practically give an identity thief the full package.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">