• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Manager asked what my injury was During interview.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luuthur

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Im a disabled vet and was discharged Honorably with a service connected disability. I went to and interview and the hiring manager started asking about my work history and I told her my last few positions held and the last being Military and told her i was medically discharged. She then asked what injury I had and im not the person to hide things so I just told her what it was. After she said she would contact me if I was hired. I started thinking about it more and was going thru some jobs searches and saw an ad that said what you should and shouldnt say and what they can legally ask you at an interview. What should I do? It clearly says legally she wasnt supposed to ask me that, she never asked me any ability or non ability to perfom any task required by the position.

The job was for McDonalds which i have several Years experience and even held manager title during my younger years in high school. I used this experience as a point in my interview which usually helps getting a job.

So what do I do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you are the one who first mentioned a medical issue, there was nothing illegal about their asking about it. They only walked through the door that you opened.

csi7

As a disability aware individual - I have a disability that is not visible, however, it directly affects my ability to maintain standard of work, I am up front about the disability, how I manage with it. I'd much rather work in an environment that is accepting of the disability up front, in the open, and minimize the hostility that comes with the disability requirements added to the work environment.

Those ads, they are written by individuals for financial reasons to benefit whatever business they are promoting, not the disability advantage.

If the disability makes the interviewer uncomfortable, it will probably be much more noticeable in the workplace itself.

You have to decide for yourself how you want to handle the disability prior to any interviews. Look up the references for the company, and see what the company does for public awareness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">