• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Male gender discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonyclem

State of Virginia

I am a male. I have worked for a subsidiary of a fortune 100 company and feel that I am the victim of gender bias/discrimination. I have worked for my company for your almost 18 months, I have no negative marks against my company employment record and I have always done my job quite well and with pride. recently my direct supervisor who was also male was abruptly fired for reasons unknown. I indicated my desire to interview for the open position for which I was well qualified for and was ignored. A current female employee of the company was put in that position and after about 10 days resigned sighting the work load as her reason. I again indicated my desire to apply for this position and this time was granted and interview. Several days after my (very positive) interview had concluded I received a phone call where I was told that I did not get the promotion, no reason was given, but the interviewer who was female told me the interview was great and I did nothing wrong. After a few days it was announced that a female from outside the company who appears to be less qualified than myself was given the position.

About 2 days later an email was forwarded to me from my new supervisor which had come from her Regional Manager (my interviewer), as I looked at it I noticed a disturbing pattern, it seems that every single person at the supervisory level in my region all the way up to the national level is female. So above me in my region is 21 female supervisors (Project Managers, Regional Managers, National Field Manager, Etc.). I tried on two occasion to get a direct reason as to why I was not promoted and the regional manager refused to offer anything of substance other than indirectly confirming that she hired who she felt most comfortable with.

My questions are these. If an employer does not directly tell you that you were not promoted because of your gender, but has a extreme pattern of hiring or promoting only one gender, in this case female. Does this seem like a causable action based on the apparent pattern of gender bias? Should I file an EEOC complaint and/or secure legal counsel? Lastly, I am employees in a gender neutral line of work.

Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Few employers are going to be stupid enough to tell you outright that you were not hired/promoted because of your gender, so a pattern of behavior is what you have to look for. Without seeing both your qualifications and those of the successful candidates, it's impossible for us to say whether you do or do not have a legitimate claim; however, you certainly can consult with an attorney/discuss it with the EEOC if you want to pursue this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">