• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mr

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shrivni

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have probably a case of workplace harassement and would like to get your views on the same. I work for one of the Big 4’s as an Associate. I work for 4 managers in the firm. One of the managers has been bent on giving feedback which not entirely correct.

Further on responding to them have been tagged defensive. This manager has a good relationship with the MD and Partner in the office. I had requested the firm to move me out of this manager as we had different work styles and had irreconcilable differences. Firm requested me to continue working for her as they needed the same for immediate future. I agreed as that was most professional action at the time. Further, the moment the critical work was done I was immediately put on a PIP with potential disciplinary action including dismissal after 30 days.

The PIP document has extremely flimsy grounds. Things like I asked the manager for an email were as I should have emailed client. Things that could be easily discussed and closed.

The PIP has feedback from only this manager. All others are extremely happy with my work and they look for any opportunity to have me on there projects.

I strongly feel that this is due to the fact that I requested to be moved out of the group. Senior management did not even speak to me or give an opportunity for discussion.

Is this a case of work place harassment and retaliation?
I would like to put down my papers and see if there is a legal recourse. Again is it better to log in a formal complaint or is it better to just play along and search for a new job?

HR had given me this PIP and told Am not meeting forms standards. Whereas I know the grounds are extremely flimsy. I am the only associate out of 8 in the form being put through this entire process. I know that I am one the best technically in the form.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based solely on what you have posted, no; this is not anything resembling illegal discrimination or retaliation. Even if you are 100% correct and this is entirely because you asked to be moved out of the group, that is still not illegal and does not give you any legal recourse.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have probably a case of workplace harassement and would like to get your views on the same. I work for one of the Big 4’s as an Associate. I work for 4 managers in the firm. One of the managers has been bent on giving feedback which not entirely correct.

Further on responding to them have been tagged defensive. This manager has a good relationship with the MD and Partner in the office. I had requested the firm to move me out of this manager as we had different work styles and had irreconcilable differences. Firm requested me to continue working for her as they needed the same for immediate future. I agreed as that was most professional action at the time. Further, the moment the critical work was done I was immediately put on a PIP with potential disciplinary action including dismissal after 30 days.

The PIP document has extremely flimsy grounds. Things like I asked the manager for an email were as I should have emailed client. Things that could be easily discussed and closed.

The PIP has feedback from only this manager. All others are extremely happy with my work and they look for any opportunity to have me on there projects.

I strongly feel that this is due to the fact that I requested to be moved out of the group. Senior management did not even speak to me or give an opportunity for discussion.

Is this a case of work place harassment and retaliation?
I would like to put down my papers and see if there is a legal recourse. Again is it better to log in a formal complaint or is it better to just play along and search for a new job?

HR had given me this PIP and told Am not meeting forms standards. Whereas I know the grounds are extremely flimsy. I am the only associate out of 8 in the form being put through this entire process. I know that I am one the best technically in the form.
This is far, far from being workplace harassment.

You need to understand that Senior Management has no duty to discuss these situation with you. No duty AT ALL. As an adult, you're expected to be able to get along with others. And if I had an employee asking to be removed from a work group because of personality issues? I'd be questioning that employee's maturity. To even ask if it's harassment or retaliation tells me you have no idea what professional workplace norms are.

Since you've been kicking up a fuss, your best bet is to put your grown-up suit on and do your best to get along with EVERYONE, even the manager you don't like. Because you may find yourself with walking papers if you can't learn to get over this.

Shrivni

Based solely on what you have posted, no; this is not anything resembling illegal discrimination or retaliation. Even if you are 100% correct and this is entirely because you asked to be moved out of the group, that is still not illegal and does not give you any legal recourse.
Thank You for the comments. This helps me have a perspective and decide on the course of action. There are other nuances and actions but most of them taken in the context will not give any validity to my claim.

Shrivni

This is far, far from being workplace harassment.

You need to understand that Senior Management has no duty to discuss these situation with you. No duty AT ALL. As an adult, you're expected to be able to get along with others. And if I had an employee asking to be removed from a work group because of personality issues? I'd be questioning that employee's maturity. To even ask if it's harassment or retaliation tells me you have no idea what professional workplace norms are.

Since you've been kicking up a fuss, your best bet is to put your grown-up suit on and do your best to get along with EVERYONE, even the manager you don't like. Because you may find yourself with walking papers if you can't learn to get over this.

Thank You Shadowbunny for this. This helps me have a perspective and decide on the course of action. There are other nuances and actions but most of them taken in the context will not give any validity to my claim. Will decide and work accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">