• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dinnall4

Good Afternoon,

I was recently terminated and the reasoning for my termination doesn’t seem to justify the punishment. During one of my transition training session’s I had fell asleep for a short period of time. I was not verbally warned at that time and instead of the manager speaking to me about what had happened he took a picture of me without my consent and sent it into a group chat. Later on during the day, I was brought into a room, where I was told that I was being terminated because it doesn’t seem like my heart was in it. Even though my performance clearly showed otherwise. I was in the process of getting promoted during my 4th week of a training course that was once 12 weeks long. I hit my metrics each and every day and I showed up to work 15min early every morning. This is an office where approximately 3-5% of the employee’s are African- American which would include me if I was still there. There are a few more incidents that make me feel as though this is a case of racial discrimination. The week before I got hired there was another African-American individual that got fired because he didn’t meet his metrics although they said he had a lot of potential they had to let him go, while there is a Caucasian individual that is still with the company who got promoted without meeting his metrics. I also noticed that the guy that wanted me terminated placed the only African-American individual that was in his department directly across from him almost as if he wanted to be able to watch his every move. I would like to know if this is a case of racial discrimination.

State of Florida
Best Regards,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good Afternoon,

I was recently terminated and the reasoning for my termination doesn’t seem to justify the punishment. During one of my transition training session’s I had fell asleep for a short period of time. I was not verbally warned at that time and instead of the manager speaking to me about what had happened he took a picture of me without my consent and sent it into a group chat. Later on during the day, I was brought into a room, where I was told that I was being terminated because it doesn’t seem like my heart was in it. Even though my performance clearly showed otherwise. I was in the process of getting promoted during my 4th week of a training course that was once 12 weeks long. I hit my metrics each and every day and I showed up to work 15min early every morning. This is an office where approximately 3-5% of the employee’s are African- American which would include me if I was still there. There are a few more incidents that make me feel as though this is a case of racial discrimination. The week before I got hired there was another African-American individual that got fired because he didn’t meet his metrics although they said he had a lot of potential they had to let him go, while there is a Caucasian individual that is still with the company who got promoted without meeting his metrics. I also noticed that the guy that wanted me terminated placed the only African-American individual that was in his department directly across from him almost as if he wanted to be able to watch his every move. I would like to know if this is a case of racial discrimination.

State of Florida
Best Regards,
You fell asleep on the job. Yes, you can be let go for that.

Just Blue

Good Afternoon,

State of Florida
Best Regards,
No...sounds like you got fired for sleeping on the job.

PayrollHRGuy

Sleeping on the job is a common reason for termination. So common, in fact, that many states (not sure about Florida) have specifically written it into there UI laws or regulations as a reason for termination that disqualifies you for unemployment.

Your comments assuming racial discrimination will go nowhere if there wasn't a white guy also asleep that didn't get fired.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you can show me a white employee in a similar position to yours who also fell asleep on the job and who wasn't fired, I'm going to say no, there is no evidence of racial discrimination here.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The week before I got hired there was another African-American individual that got fired because he didn’t meet his metrics although they said he had a lot of potential they had to let him go, while there is a Caucasian individual that is still with the company who got promoted without meeting his metrics. I also noticed that the guy that wanted me terminated placed the only African-American individual that was in his department directly across from him almost as if he wanted to be able to watch his every move. I would like to know if this is a case of racial discrimination.
So you're seeing discrimination because of the location of someone's desk? Maybe the "guy" just likes the only other African-American employee in his department? Maybe that's just where there was room. There could be hundreds of reasons for that placement that have nothing to do with race. You're grasping at straws.

Just Blue

So you're seeing discrimination because of the location of someone's desk? Maybe the "guy" just likes the only other African-American employee in his department? Maybe that's just where there was room. There could be hundreds of reasons for that placement that have nothing to do with race. You're grasping at straws.
Or OP was fired for just sleeping on the job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not to mention the fact that if 3/5 of the employees are African-American, then clearly there are lots of African-American employees who are not getting fired. The fact that there is one Caucasian employee who also did not get fired falls significantly short of "proof" of racial discrimination.

Stay awake on your next job, my friend, and if you're that good an employee you'll stay. No one said you were fired for anything at all to do with your metrics; falling asleep on the job is pretty good evidence right there that "your heart isn't in it".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, I read it wrong. But even so, that's still going to be several African-American employees who are still employed. And I still haven't heard about any Caucasian employees who fell asleep on the job and didn't get fired.

Racial discrimination is too much a stretch here to be creditable, unless the OP is leaving out a LOT of the story.

Just Blue

Sorry, I read it wrong. But even so, that's still going to be several African-American employees who are still employed. And I still haven't heard about any Caucasian employees who fell asleep on the job and didn't get fired.

Racial discrimination is too much a stretch here to be creditable, unless the OP is leaving out a LOT of the story.
One does not have to be an HR professional or an attorney to know that if one is sleeping on the job one gets fired...whatever the skin tone. And with all the racism going on in this country to pervert the term "Racism" in this manner is disgusting. IMHO.

People need to own their mistakes.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
One does not have to be an HR professional or an attorney to know that if one is sleeping on the job one gets fired...whatever the skin tone.
It's not the case though the falling asleep once automatically gets every employee everywhere fired. I once did a trial in which the judge fell asleep while testimony was being taken. The other attorney simply said "let the record reflect the judge is asleep" the trial went on. That judge didn't get fired over that (though he was deeply embarrassed).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">